How much maint do i need to paint my fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much PAINT do i need to paint my fj60?

Hey guys, Im gona start buying paint for my 1985 fj60
it is gun metal grey, and i want to keep it original color.

Anyway I need to know
1. how much primer
, base,
and clear coat to purchace.
I will be buying sherwin williams paint cuz i have a friend that is getting me a 40% discount. I will be using a 2 part finish, have not decided on how high aquality I will get. I was told that for the highest grade paint would cost me around $300 for everything. Also is there anything else I shoulg get? (box of tape or anything?(
Thanks
Blake

Last edited:
has anyone painted their 60 series?

Im sure someone can give me a clue on how much paint i will need.
Do i need a quart? a gallon? I really dont know how much to buy.
I would really be thankfull to any help
Blake

I have been sanding and filling in small dents now for weeks! I am buying paint from carquest. It's a urethane one shot from PPG which I was told is the most durable. 84$ per gallon plus 20% for reducer and 30$ for hardener. I was told that with shooting the jams and then applying two coats I will need about 1.5gallons. That will probably give me a quart to spare. If your existing paint is intact then you can snad the whole truck with 400 and then paint no primer needed. If you are filling anything and doing body work or have scratches to fill then Primer enamel (most durable) is about 100$ a gallon with reducer (PPG). Tape? are you kidding? YOu will need tape, pastic, paper, sand paper, blocks, forms, foam brushes, dust filters, more plastic.

If your local auto paint place that is selling you the paint can't help you out in getting you all the necessary equipment then go someplace else. This is teh paint, man. Everyone will see this! Hope your compressor will handle the spray (min of 9CFM I think).

Good luck! don't forget the tyvek suit and moisture filter for your gun.

thanx for the help how much clear coat did you buy?

I think im gona primer it , and use a clear coat.
How much primer and clear would you get?
would you get 1.5 gallons of everything?
Thanks
Blake

Acrylic urethanes get no clear coat. The urethane forms a hard coat as it dries and is supposed to be better than a clear coat. Unless you are making a show truck there is no reason (using modern urethanes) to use a two step paint, base and clear.

Keep it simple and get 1.5gallons of what ever you decide. Also, only primer surfaces that have scratches or need a top coat. I have been told by body guys that the best bottom layer is intact base paint that has been thoroughly cleaned and sanded to 400-600 grit in an X motion.

I have also been told numerous times to keep my F$#%ing hands off the truck before paint. I remember seeing a beautiful paint job that bubbled in the shape of a hand on the fender. Not rust. Just hand oil under the primer. Go over the whole damn thing with a professional degreaser and then a prep soap and rinse 3 or 4 times. Dry for about 2 days in a shletered area and blow off jsut before painting.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom