How much lift is enough?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by KSV, Oct 26, 2005.

1. KSV

KSV

Well, understandable that this is very broad question and right answer would be “whatever you like” or “depending on application”. But still – what is most practical? What the highest lift without modification of stock driveterrain (apart of spring and shocks of course)? How high vehicle can be lifted without introducing much bodyroll and without losing drivability on the road?

Thanks.

BTW front axle is life.

2. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you are good until about 4" or so...then you have to start replacing things, changing angles, and the like.

Don't forget about the size of the tires you are running as well...this contributes to drivabiliy also.

Others will chime it...I would recommend that you go to the "cruiser garage" up top and check out people's photos and the things they've done to their rigs...

Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

OME 2.5" based on the criteria I highlighted.

Anything higher would put you in "maybe-land" -- maybe it'll work...maybe it won't.

You could go to OME J springs...but I've heard of some having issues with driveline vibes...but then again...some don't have problems...maybe-land.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

Typically, the purpose of "lifting" an off-road vechicle is to make clearance for larger tyres. The larger tyres give you more ground clearance. More ground clearance means more obstacles that your truck can clear. See the portal axles threads for a case in point. With portals you get the ground clearance without needing to "lift" the truck other than what you would do to fit larger tyres.

That being said, most will lift ~3" to run 33" tyres, ~4" to run 35" tyres, and ~6" to run 36" & 37" tyres. You can also accomodate 35"+ tyres by lowering the axle bump stops which essentially accomplishes the same thing; prevents the tyre from contacting the inner wheel well by limiting upward travel.

-B-

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    In my opinion anything higher than 2 inches needs to take caster into consideration and anything over 4 needs to take panhards into consideration as well as sway drops and possible driveline work.

No two 80's react to the same ammount of lift in the same manner. Caster in particular is very fickle. Some vehicles can be lifted as much as three inches in the front and still drive "OK" but not right. At two inches some can be a real handful to control without correction.

D-

6. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I think this is the reason why we see so many drive shafts threads AFTER a lift, when before, the rig was driving fine.

7. Darwood

Darwood

I find 6" to be very practical.

As Prezident Doug stated, about 2.5"

6" is very driveable and the body roll isn't bad at all. The 80 is my wives daily driver.

Just my personal experience.

8. OZCAL

OZCAL

I've been polling the ARB shops down here and getting that answer too. Pricing all over the place :)frown: ) but same answer Doug gave.

9. Kalawang

Kalawang

It's not the size, it's how you use it. :rolleyes:

Kalawang

10. LX_TREME

LX_TREME

Right :rolleyes:

11. kirk

kirk

The Slee 6" package is the max. Slee did a great job maxing out lift while keeping important geometries where they need to be. I am very happy with mine on the road. I would love to find a way out how to make super swamper perform better on the road. I think one could surpass the 6" mark by cutting and rotating the spindles back a few degrees. I did this to my 40 and if made a huge difference. I would also think a "Long Arm" suspension would be necessary too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.