How much is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 455k miles on my 1999 TLC and my starter just went out. Now the starter is out I'm just wanting to start over and get one I don't have to fix. Just wanted some thoughts on the matter. I am buying a new car and when it finally gets here I was going to stop driving this one and restore or fix it up but until then it's my daily. What does everyone think?

Having high mileage cruiser is prestige, if i was that high mileage i'll keep it going for bragging rights. Fix it.
💯

My 80 has 351k miles, and I will do everything in my power to get it to 500k with the stock 1FZ.

💯

My 80 has 351k miles, and I will do everything in my power to get it to 500k with the stock 1FZ.

I have 235K miles on my 06, can't wait to get it to 500K miles too, that would be a hell of a milestone. At current gas prices, it would cost me $77,000 to go another 265K miles. 12MPG, $3.50 a gallon math

I have 235K miles on my 06, can't wait to get it to 500K miles too, that would be a hell of a milestone. At current gas prices, it would cost me $77,000 to go another 265K miles. 12MPG, $3.50 a gallon math
I didn't check your math but using your math and gas prices where I live in LA ($6.99 a gallon), so it would cost me 154k for me to drive 265K miles. I'm not complaining, it's still my weekend car, whether I drive 2 miles or 100 miles somewhere. Smiles per gallon :)

I didn't check your math but using your math and gas prices where I live in LA ($6.99 a gallon), so it would cost me 154k for me to drive 265K miles. I'm not complaining, it's still my weekend car, whether I drive 2 miles or 100 miles somewhere. Smiles per gallon :)

I'm Asian, we start doing math in our mothers' wombs, so no need to check. Man can't believe it's that expensive there, they really want to push out all the ICE cars huh.

Mine has 445k. There's not rust at all and there's no other issues whatsoever. I plan to drive it until it quits. I take it on trips occasionally as well.

Mine has 445k. There's not rust at all and there's no other issues whatsoever. I plan to drive it until it quits. I take it on trips occasionally as well.
post some pics of it, interior as ell to see how it holds up

post some pics of it, interior as ell to see how it holds up
The driver seat bottom has been replaced. The passenger seat bottom is split. The steering wheel also needs to be redone. For the mileage though she's in pretty good shape.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

💯

With that large a fleet it might be a while ;)

The driver seat bottom has been replaced. The passenger seat bottom is split. The steering wheel also needs to be redone. For the mileage though she's in pretty good shape.

View attachment 3133858

View attachment 3133859

View attachment 3133860

View attachment 3133861

View attachment 3133862
Dang, crazy clean for the age. What else have you done maintenance wise? Did you replace ball joints, steering rack, valve cover gaskets etc? Is the starter original, alternator, fuel pump ? Trying to get an idea how long the oem parts can last

That truck looks great! Mine has 235k and looks about the same. How much did it cost to change the upholstery on the driver seat?

I've only owned it the last couple of years but I have every record of everything that was done. The previous one owner spent quite a bit of money having absolutely everything done at the lexus dealership. It was a company car for this individuals software company. He told me he hated flying so he drove this thing back and fourth to California quite a bit. I purchased it in Birmingham. When I got it I did the steering rack, which was original and had tons of play. I did the driver side exhaust manifold, and the timing belt and water pump. The only leak it had was from the oil cooler gasket. Nothing had ever been done to the ahc system so I changed out the globes and rear springs. Amazingly before this it still rode pretty decent in comfort mode but it was pretty bouncy in sport mode. Really the only thing I still need to do is all of the bushings and ball joints. They're all still original. I don't have any record of the fuel pump or starter ever being replaced so I may look into those as well.

I have 455k miles on my 1999 TLC and my starter just went out. Now the starter is out I'm just wanting to start over and get one I don't have to fix. Just wanted some thoughts on the matter. I am buying a new car and when it finally gets here I was going to stop driving this one and restore or fix it up but until then it's my daily. What does everyone think?
This isn't a cadillac northstar with a tree growing through the hood. It's a very desirable vehicle. Starter is a pain the ass, sure. But it's really not that bad. I think you would have to sell it for a lot less than you'd want to without a working starter than it would cost to fix. So it's truly in your best interest to either fix it and sell or it fix it and keep it. Now if it had major frame rot and everything else wrong with it that can go wrong then I would consider starting fresh. But over a $170 part and a little sweat equity? Come on.

This isn't a cadillac northstar with a tree growing through the hood. It's a very desirable vehicle. Starter is a pain the ass, sure. But it's really not that bad. I think you would have to sell it for a lot less than you'd want to without a working starter than it would cost to fix. So it's truly in your best interest to either fix it and sell or it fix it and keep it. Now if it had major frame rot and everything else wrong with it that can go wrong then I would consider starting fresh. But over a $170 part and a little sweat equity? Come on.

Pretty solid first post.

Pretty solid first post.
Thanks. Been lurking for like 7 months. Just bought a hundy a month ago with 275k on the clock. I've been tinkering with vehicles for about 12 years now so I've been on forums for awhile. Was big into VW's and bmw's for a minute there but decided I'm not masochistic enough and got a 2019 camry. Then just traded that in for the cruiser after putting 100k on the odo in 3 years.

Having had the manifold off mine a couple times, it's really not that big of a deal. (Starter x1 and knock sensor x1) Just take your time, be easy on the plastic connections (they'll be brittle) and be very easy breaking the starter loose from the block. Fix it and drive on, especially since you've got something new coming that will take over daily driver duties.

The 100 series is is an exceptional vehicle and may be most reliable, longest lasting and best aging of the lot. This is largely due to the 2UZ that just seems to last forever if given just a little attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom