How much is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 455k miles on my 1999 TLC and my starter just went out. Now the starter is out I'm just wanting to start over and get one I don't have to fix. Just wanted some thoughts on the matter. I am buying a new car and when it finally gets here I was going to stop driving this one and restore or fix it up but until then it's my daily. What does everyone think?

Does it still run well? Burn oil? If everything is fine replace the starter and keep driving?

It’s a 2UZ it’ll keep going. All the rubber parts are what you’d be replacing I suppose.

I was just wanting to know what others in the same situation would do. WWYD?
Ahhh. Got ya. I'd tell my wife that 180,000 miles is not "too high to take on trips" because a guy on 'Mud has 455,000 miles. But that doesn't help you.

but yeah - what @NE Snowman said X2.

What I would do? Fix it and drive it until the wheels rust off. Starters and the involved hassle are still a few thousand times cheaper than a new ride.

Unless you've got FU money. Then just donate it to someone and go buy a new(er) 200. Or 300. Or Porsche...who cares when you have FU money?

Haha had a few family members say I was crazy when I bought a 2UZ 4R at 191k, now I have 2 of ‘em. 230k and 188k 🤙, looking to replace one with a Hundy but haven’t been in a rush. I live through mud members Hundys.
Ahhh. Got ya. I'd tell my wife that 180,000 miles is not "too high to take on trips" because a guy on 'Mud has 455,000 miles. But that doesn't help you.

but yeah - what @NE Snowman said X2.

are you asking 200 or newer 100? again not clear what you are asking

You have 75k miles on me, but I have no desire to ditch my 100. I just keep replacing parts and it just keeps going. Mine is not pretty and not worth a restoration, but it is worth keeping it on the road until it rusts out and becomes dust.

Not sure what you're asking - if it's should you fix it, sounds like you have to if it's your daily until whatever else you bought shows up. If it's keep it after the other vehicle arrives, up to you if you have the need or want to keep it and maintain it.

I have 455k miles on my 1999 TLC and my starter just went out. Now the starter is out I'm just wanting to start over and get one I don't have to fix. Just wanted some thoughts on the matter. I am buying a new car and when it finally gets here I was going to stop driving this one and restore or fix it up but until then it's my daily. What does everyone think?

Start over, as in buy a newer 100?
You already bought a new car but it's not here yet?
When's it coming?
Why does it need a restoration and not just a starter?

So many questions.

Without more detailed info I think this is a pretty simple financial/free time question.

Got the finances to eat depreciation on a new(er) car? Go for it and enjoy the simplicity.

Got the time to wrench, but barely the finances to make a new car work? Keep the old and fix er up.

Got both the time AND the money? Keep the old and progressively turn into something more fun and less practical while daily-ing the new ride.

Boom, there ya go.

Get a New Starter OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom