How much is too much engine oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There’s a good possibility the engine will “use” or “burn” enough oil to bring the level down. Toyota and Honda engines are the most durable, resilient, longest-lasting engines made. I’ve owned many of them. Whether the oil was under or over filled by a small amount it has never caused any damage.

What will damage your engine is pushing it hard before it’s come to the normal operating temp (same goes for the tranny).
Agreed. I have nearly 700,000 miles on J-Vin Cruiser engines and one of them have burned/used/lost a drop.

For what its worth, I pulled out about 720 mL of oil and now its perfectly between the two dots. If my guestimating is correct, I was about 300-400 mL too full.

Why the recommendation to drain from filter? Is it less messy because of the filter insert? I rather loosen drain plug and have slightly messy rather than removing skid to get to filter.

Darn I hate to admit it...this actually seems like a handy use for fumoto valve...

Why the recommendation to drain from filter? Is it less messy because of the filter insert? I rather loosen drain plug and have slightly messy rather than removing skid to get to filter.

Darn I hate to admit it...this actually seems like a handy use for fumoto valve...
Two bolts and a mess that will be difficult to clean without removing six more.. plus hope you don’t have trouble getting the plastic crush washer off the pan etc..

Vs five small bolts and five larger ones. All of which take maybe 20 seconds with an impact driver. Then remove the oil filter drain plug, move oring to drain tool, insert drain tool and cleanly drain into pan without a mess….

I know which I’d rather do.

The Fumoto valve would have definitely helped haha

I actually just used a large syringe and some flexible tubing and just snaked it down the dipstick hole. With the engine warm, it pulled out pretty quick and easily.

I just changed mine for the first time. 8 full quarts and it is just above the lower dot (calls for 7.9). Not quite in the middle. Folks must be filling from gallon jugs?

I just changed mine for the first time. 8 full quarts and it is just above the lower dot (calls for 7.9). Not quite in the middle. Folks must be filling from gallon jugs?
Are you pushing in the dip stick all the way. Close to 8qts should put you closer to the higher dot.

Dealer probably filling from an old rusty barrel it would seem.

Are you pushing in the dip stick all the way. Close to 8qts should put you closer to the higher dot.

Yes, dipstick is all the way in. No leaks and no drop in level after an hour drive of multiple speeds and loads (I'm paranoid). Took 8, holding 8. Now, I will say that the oil is so thin that it is hard to tell exactly where the mark is. Sometimes it does appear near the top mark. Maybe. But it runs down the dipstick no matter how quick I pull it out. The 5w50 in my FJ-62 was pretty clear :)

Edit: I'm always checking hot after ~5min drain back interval.

So I went out to check the oil code to see if I could get a better fill perspective with the oil cold and thus not quite as thin. On the "up" side of the dipstick (the side where the 2 kinks and the dots are up) the level is at 3/4 to the top dot (again, cold, sat over night, fully drained back to the pan). This is the side that on mine faces back towards the firewall as you insert it into the tube.

On the other side of the dipstick the level is about 1/3 above the lower dot. Interesting.

My guess is that ~5 min is not enough time to fully drain back into the pan and the thin oil makes it really hard to tell exactly where the level is (at least for me).

So I went out to check the oil code to see if I could get a better fill perspective with the oil cold and thus not quite as thin. On the "up" side of the dipstick (the side where the 2 kinks and the dots are up) the level is at 3/4 to the top dot (again, cold, sat over night, fully drained back to the pan). This is the side that on mine faces back towards the firewall as you insert it into the tube.

On the other side of the dipstick the level is about 1/3 above the lower dot. Interesting.

My guess is that ~5 min is not enough time to fully drain back into the pan and the thin oil makes it really hard to tell exactly where the level is (at least for me).

I filled mine up with 8 as well and ended up pulling almost 700mL back out to get it right between the lines. Maybe I didn't drain as much out as I thought? For what its worth, I did use two 5 quart jugs and just based the 8 quarts off of the side markings haha.

Interesting that the dip stick would have two different level markings on the different sides of the dipstick... I wonder how that even happens?

My dipstick doesn't look like yours. It has two dots for level and on either side of each dot a bend/kink.

This thead suggests that there are two different oil volume requirements, indicated by blue (7.4) and green (7.9) handles. Perhaps you have a 7.4? Of course my dipstick handle is yellow, so, there's that :) My owner's manual calls for 7.9. With a little residue in each quart bottle ~7.9 probably went in.

I'm happy enough, its just interesting to me at this point.

This is all per my method of looking up part numbers. Clearly some of the years are out of order but that's what is in there..

2008 LC/LX, plus tundra/sequoia
15301-38060 MEXICO SPEC
(not sure what the mexico spec means but it is the only option for 2008 LC)

Same as above

15301-38060 MEXICO SPEC (09/2007 - 06/2009)
15301-38061 MEXICO SPEC (07/2009 - 12/2011)

15301-38060 same as 2008/2009

2013 LC/LX
15301-38061 (01/2012 - 04/2012)
15301-38062 (06/2012 - 07/2015)

2014-CURRENT LC/LX
15301-38062

So looks like three different part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom