How much Horsepower Can a Fj60 Handle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That will be a nasty setup, TotheredLine!
FWIW, I run a LS2 with LS3 heads and custom spec "off-road torque" cam with pretty much all the Advance Adapter stuff on the tail of the 4L65E to the stock transfer case. The main bottleneck is the headers which are too small. These feed into a single 3" exhaust. It rips just fine so i can only imagine what that stroker is gonna do!

Engine is together, drivetrain was mocked up and and ls mounts are in. It’s going in to get paint this week. I’m going with BMW imola red

E850C9C5-375C-4EE6-B773-3089CC231CEE.jpeg

8B45AEAB-8558-4EF9-BB83-28427E099786.jpeg

24C47921-2414-4A4B-B656-08DDBD25F0E6.jpeg

46B54612-6BFD-46DD-B8B2-EF0574343FBF.jpeg

33E51207-44B1-4D69-AE3E-CB22FABC3064.jpeg

Cheapest way to get lots of power out of a LS is with forced induction. Leaving everything stock except with a bigger ring gap, head studs, injectors, and a cheap turbo huge horsepower is easily achievable even with the stock ecu. Plenty of guys getting 1000hp on cheap turbos. I've thought of doing it many times. My fuel system is good for 600hp or so already. But I think I'll stay focused on dialing in the swap so it's as smooth and integrated as possible first.

she's gonna be a nasty little f%@ker 🤘
2 cubes larger than the 2nd smallest original old school rat motor. you know you're gonna have to post video when you've got that bad boy breathing

6.0 liter in mine with a cam swap and NV4500, it faster than any Toyota engineer ever imagined... 3rd gear goes well past 90 and 4th run out hard to redline isn’t one of my best decisions...it cruises easily at 75-80 and gets 13 mpg no matter how you drive it... it’s nice to have the power, should have come that way from the factory....

6.0 liter in mine with a cam swap and NV4500, it faster than any Toyota engineer ever imagined... 3rd gear goes well past 90 and 4th run out hard to redline isn’t one of my best decisions...it cruises easily at 75-80 and gets 13 mpg no matter how you drive it... it’s nice to have the power, should have come that way from the factory....
Couldn't agree more. I l have a similar setup and love the reliability, drivability and smile I get when putting the skinny peddle down. Idles over the rocks and loves to rev. Should have came this way.

Hi all. Haven’t given up on my high horsepower 60 project and I never will! Might be a while though! Truck got painted in BMW imola red right before I went on deployment. Got a lot of super cool goodies for this project. Aussie smoker windows, custom HVAC panel and speedhut gauges. Still have a couple more months out here but I’m looking forward to putting her back together.

not gonna lie, I have had a lot of second thoughts on the drivetrain combo tho. Might sell the ranger and go for a manual valvebody 4L80e with a 2200-3000rpm stall and an np205/14bolt. TH400 would be cheaper but no overdrive wouldn’t be ideal, and this truck will see lots of road trips. I could make a non overdrive trans work with a centered rear diff with 3.55 or taller rear gear but you can’t get anything less than a 3.73s for the landcruiser front diff.
700R4/4L60e (basically same trans) is another option but I’m not sure how long one would survive behind a 5000lb truck making considerable power.
Idk what the best option is, but I’ve gotta be real with myself, I’m not going to baby it.

0E9B21FB-F6F0-451F-819C-7E2F38DE6BD4.jpeg

AEEB0638-BF2D-430A-9555-6BBEFC6FBC9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all. Haven’t given up on my high horsepower 60 project and I never will! Might be a while though! Truck got painted in BMW imola red right before I went on deployment. Got a lot of super cool goodies for this project. Aussie smoker windows, custom HVAC panel and speedhut gauges. Still have a couple more months out here but I’m looking forward to putter her back together.

not gonna lie. I have had a lot of second thoughts on the drivetrain combo tho. Might sell the ranger and go for a manual valvebody 4L80e/np205/14bolt. Idk what the best option is, but I’ve gotta be real with myself, I’m not going to baby it.

View attachment 2513066

View attachment 2513067
if not being babied, build that b!tch to be beat!! you know you want to :flipoff2:

Depends on who you talk to...

Any advice on the options to make that happen? Some searching here shows AA has a smaller front output yoke, but I haven’t seen what joint size it uses. And I’ve seen some making a 203/splitcase doubler. I have a couple 203s here and could use them for this but would like to hear some others thoughts.

Any advice on the options to make that happen? Some searching here shows AA has a smaller front output yoke, but I haven’t seen what joint size it uses. And I’ve seen some making a 203/splitcase doubler. I have a couple 203s here and could use them for this but would like to hear some others thoughts.

I have had a 203/splitcase installed in my truck for about 7 years now. It was cool for about a year. It was a good setup for 1992 when it was peak technology

Way too sloppy, loud, heavy in 2023

I have had a 203/splitcase installed in my truck for about 7 years now. It was cool for about a year. It was a good setup for 1992 when it was peak technology

Way too sloppy, loud, heavy in 2023
I’m driving an 85 Toyota. Loud, sloppy and heavy sounds accurate.

I’m driving an 85 Toyota. Loud, sloppy and heavy sounds accurate.

I’ll sell my 203/adapter by itself or the entire NV4500/203/splitcase setup if you want to see how great it is for yourself

I’ll sell my 203/adapter by itself or the entire NV4500/203/splitcase setup if you want to see how great it is for yourself
I’d entertain the 203 to splitcase adapter but already have several 203’s and a 4L80 here so don’t need the other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom