How much grease to buy for knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding my knuckles ('72 FJ40) and need to purchase some moly grease - I'm looking at buying AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Grease NLGI #2 - (I'm open to suggestions for less expensive options).

I'm not sure how much grease (i.e. how many tubes) I need to buy.

If I plan on filling each knuckle 3/4 full of moly grease, how many ounces of grease will I need to buy - or - how many 14 oz tubes will I need?

I buy two of the 1lb cans. The tubes are going to be a PITA, in my opinion.

The tubes are going to be a PITA, in my opinion.

I hear you, but the next size up from the 14oz tubes of the Amsoil is a 35lb tub.

I was thinking that I would just hand pack the knuckles by breaking open the 14oz tubes.

Tubes are a REAL PITA, unless you do slice them open, but that also leaves the grease open to contamination because you're going to have sheet all over the place.

Last time I used tubes, I just used a grease gun plunger and pushed everything into an old Tupperware. Much easier.

But now I just use 1 lb cans of the Valvoline Moly dura semi-syn.

But the Amsoil is good stuff!

Caterpillar Advanced 3 Moly Grease (tube 5P-0960) is a less expensive option and works great. It was around $4 a tube at local CAT store last time I bought some. You can do the knuckle rebuild and have some left over with 4 tubes.

Grease for Knuckles

I'm going to be greasing up my knuckles soon and was planning on using AMSOIL NLGI #2. However, I'm now thinking of using a synthetic grease called Green Grease.

An employee at a local 4x4 shop told me about it and he swears by it - for ALL parts: knuckles, bearings etc. I like the idea of having a one-grease-does-all solution.

Also, he mentioned that FJ40 knuckles are susceptible to water and that this "waterproof" grease has worked great for him on his knuckles regarding water damage. I never heard of FJ40's being susceptible to water, but I know that my knuckles were pretty muddy and nasty.

Another reason why I am considering this green stuff is because it is readily available at my local hardware and auto parts stores.

If you have personal experience with Green Grease, can you share your opinion on what you think of it? Especially in regards to using it in your knuckles.

Are you trying to set a record for most number of new posts in shortest amount of time? ;)

You have started 6 threads with the word knuckle in the title in the last two days.

This question could have been asked and answered in your other thread about how much grease to buy.:beer:

Last edited:
Green grease is super sticky and nasty but works well for U joints that do not have bearings in them.

I would not use it on the CV's. Conventional greases are cheaper and more suited. How often are you planning on replacing the grease anyway??

Are you trying to set a record for most number of new posts in shortest amount of time? ;)

Ha! That's not my intention, but I suppose I am getting a bit out of control.

I posted a new thread because I think that, although the topic is related, it is a different question. And for the benefit of future Mud'ers searching for answers, separating the two questions seemed to be a good idea.

A search will pull up titles and content in threads. Also, I don't mean to discourage you at all and I admire your enthusiasm.

I don't see where the Green Grease has Moly in it... You need moly grease in the birfs.

x2 on the moly. Any grease going into the knuckles must have moly. I believe it should be about 3%. Look at the FSM. It will stipulate the moly requirement.

For wheel bearings/ujoints etc., I use Mobil XHP-222. Very sticky.

How often are you planning on replacing the grease anyway??

I don't know how often I'll replace the grease - What is the recommended service time?

I would like to say that I will change the grease as often as recommended (hopefully it doesn't turn out to be more than once a year :))

Sounds like you need to get an FSM or at least a Haynes manual.

More is not enough

Royal Purple synthetic grease all around, wheel bearings and the birfs.
Don't over think it, just grease it and lots of it.
Anyone ever see a leaking inner seal, it's all mush inside, why not use all the same grease? :D
I myself use this, great stuff, Pep Boys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom