How much gas left when fuel light came ON? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Test vehicle: 2003 LX470

I was able to get about 2.5 gallon of gas out through the fuel pump since the low fuel light came on.

With the fuel tank empty, I had to add 5 gallon of gas to have the fuel light off.

YMMV.

fuel_light_gas.jpg

yeah 5 gallons left once light goes on so 50 miles of city driving at 10mpg or up to 75 miles left if highway and getting good mileage at 15mpg.

Stock truck, 5spd, cruising a Kansas interstate at 70mph could see 15 mpg.
No way with a 25mph headwind that will always be blowing at you you no matter which way you are going.

I measured 16-17 with 4sp truck driving long distances. I get stable 13 with mixed city driving (not stop/go, just regular suburbs)

Same with mine.

My gas light blinks first @ ~20-gals, then seems stay on @ ~21-gal.

FWIW...I logged 18-mpg over 860 miles to Milwaukee this past weekend. One tank recorded 19-mpg. I drive pretty conservatively, rarely going over the speed limit.

Normal city mpg's range from 10-13.

[QUOTE="94SRUNNER, post: 13207277, member:

I drive pretty conservatively, rarely going over the speed limit.
[/QUOTE]

Thats key right there. If I go 65, I can get pretty good mileage, but it exponentially decreases after that. In NV with 80mph speed limits (so everyone goes 90+) on certain highways, I get 11-12 at 95mph. Thats with 34s and stock 5spd gearing. I imagine that would be worse with a regear.

What is everyone's cruising range when the light comes on? I know the computer is probably a bit conservative, but mine always seems to be around 20 miles until empty. Seems tight.

What is everyone's cruising range when the light comes on? I know the computer is probably a bit conservative, but mine always seems to be around 20 miles until empty. Seems tight.

Mine was ~15 miles

Yes sir

33" tires and a awning are my only modifications..

I can get 15-16, but im driving 65 and cruising, accelerate calmly vs. aggressively... drive it like a tank, if I want to gun it i drive something else more suited for that.

Stock truck and tires, Denso TT plugs, can get 16-18.5mpg on premium fuel depending on conditions. I’d guess that would mean 45-60 miles once the fuel light comes on...

For you guys getting 15 mph +, good for you all. I've got a lightly built (bumper, winch, sliders, awning, roof rack), supercharged 98 and I'm getting about 12 mpg, no matter how I drive it. Don't really mind the fuel efficiency (or lack thereof) when I smash the pedal and hear the supercharger - can't put a price on smiles per gallon!

Mine was 5 gallons at reserve. However, it’s more like 3 gallons for the past couple years. I’m guessing there is increased resistance in one of the connections. I haven’t dug into it yet. Gauge displays normally, otherwise.

Reserve seems to be about 5-6 gallons in my 98. That’s in line with my FJ62 as well.

Probably a resistance or sender issue but figured this might be a good place to ask.

my gauge will be on Full or slightly above after fill up and within 20 miles drop to a quarter. The next quarter will go fast too but the second half of the tank holds out for a long time. It takes all the fuel it should and ultimately I get decent miles out of a tank but it bugs the crap out me. I haven’t seen anyone else mention this issue here or I’m using the wrong search terms

my gauge will be on Full or slightly above after fill up and within 20 miles drop to a quarter. The next quarter will go fast too but the second half of the tank holds out for a long time. It takes all the fuel it should and ultimately I get decent miles out of a tank but it bugs the crap out me. I haven’t seen anyone else mention this issue here or I’m using the wrong search terms
It is interesting this does pose a concern for more people, but the fuel tank does not hold a consistent volume from full to empty. I don't think the fuel gauge has variable resistance, so it would make sense the "top 1/2" is used faster than the "bottom 1/2".

1594410522421.png

Last edited:
It is interesting this does pose a concern for more people, but the fuel tank does hold a consistent volume from full to empty. I don't think the fuel gauge has variable resistance, so it would make sense the "top 1/2" is used faster than the "bottom 1/2".

View attachment 2367404

yea, most cars I’ve driven for long enough to notice do go through the first half faster. It is just way more pronounced than I’ve seen before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom