How much fuel the maze district Canyonlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says I'll be taking the 100 series into the maze district for 3 nights. Im uneasy about fuel, I'm prepared for 40 additional liters after refilling in green river.

My question is does anyone have experience going there in a 100 and how much fuel did you take or use traveling around the southern part of the district? Hans Flat to the doll house and back around (with detours of course).

Looks like 84 miles one way to the ranger Station from the town of green river (nearest fuel station enroute) and more than 18hrs of low range driving to get back to the ranger station to head the 84 miles back to the pump.

I have the space to bring an additional 20 liters of fuel but I'd like to use that space for extra water.
The car will be heavy likely over gross with plated bumper, 35s with a spare (with 4.88's) 20 gallons of water and all the gear (beer) for a 4 day trip. Not that it seems to have much effect on mileage.

Have you driven enough in low range to get an idea of your economy off road? I usually get 9-10 mpg in low range unless I’m really crawling and aired down to 18psi. ( 6mpg over 3 hours when doing Fins n Things). You could always switch back to high range and gain 2-3 mpg easy, if the road permits. 40 L is well over 10 gal. Worst case scenario is 60+ miles above your normal range. Quick tip: when filling up, if I can get the nozzle to dispense slowly, I can top off with almost four more gallons after it first kicks off.

Not a place you want to be stuck without fuel. I think I'd work out how to pack in a bit of a safety margin.

I too have seen mileage as low as 6 in long stretches of slow, low-range driving. Sounds like we're similarly equipped—armor front to back, 35s, and 7500+ lbs fully loaded. You'll use low range in a few stretches, but it likely won't be for the full 18+ hours.

What do you usually achieve for a full tank? Going solo/single truck?

You can do it without extra gas, but will feel better if you have at least some. Fill up again in Hanksville... and if the Hite ranger station is open for gas you can go out that way instead of back up to the Ranger Station as it's shorter and less uphill, would want to check first but Hite is essentially across the street from the Maze. Last time I was there we filled up in Hanksville, and I brought 10 extra gallons, when leaving the dollhouse I dumped it all in just so the weight wasn't on top anymore. Then had enough gas to make it to Green River again.. could have probably made it to Fruita but we needed a break anyway.

Hit me up if you want to borrow a Rotopax or 2. here's your Dollhouse shot... :)
maze2.JPG

Trails and expeditions forum?

Have fun and be safe!

@CorporalClegg you could also post this in your local TLCA chapter's forum at Rising Sun 4WD Club Forum lots and lots of Maze experience there, and a good local resource as well. You'll recognize a lot of forum names... ;)

Went to the Maze in 2009 in my 2000 LC. Filled in Hanksville (60 miles to Hans Flat Ranger station) along with 3 - 20L jerry cans. So full tank plus 60L of gas. On way into Hans Flat took a 10 mile rt side trip to Horseshoe Canyon. After Hans Flat went to Cleopatra's Chair and Panorama Point. Then got down the Flint Switchback and halfway out to Maze Overlook when noticed CVs had started leaking so turned around and took the shortest route to pavement and gas. That route out, was the road south to Hite. Don't know if it is open now but the Marina at Hite has gas pumps for vehicles. I was sweating it, we were pretty empty pulling into Hite.
This stuff will help a little:
If you have a pre 2004 use Premium for better mileage.
Non-ethanol fuel will get better mileage.
Don't think I would try it with only 40L.
Drive for best mileage not time.

If you’re in Hanksville, you should check out Little Wild Horse Canyon (free slot canyon hike) and Goblin Valley SP. I can pm you some more maps and directions. Here was our campsite near Temple Mountain Wash, nearby. LX and tent are center right, behind a tree.
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.45.32 PM.png

Last edited:
You can do it without extra gas, but will feel better if you have at least some. Fill up again in Hanksville... and if the Hite ranger station is open for gas you can go out that way instead of back up to the Ranger Station as it's shorter and less uphill, would want to check first but Hite is essentially across the street from the Maze. Last time I was there we filled up in Hanksville, and I brought 10 extra gallons, when leaving the dollhouse I dumped it all in just so the weight wasn't on top anymore. Then had enough gas to make it to Green River again.. could have probably made it to Fruita but we needed a break anyway.

Hit me up if you want to borrow a Rotopax or 2. here's your Dollhouse shot... :)

thanks for the advice, if time wasnt such a problem hite or even hanksvile would be a game changer. Im expecting the worst of road conditions and if doll house really is 6 hrs from hans station? Interesting youre in broomfield i work on 116th.

If you’re in Hanksville, you should check out Little Wild Horse Canyon (free slot canyon hike) and Goblin Valley SP. I can pm you some more maps and directions. Here was our campsite near Temple Mountain Wash, nearby. LX and tent are center right, behind a tree.

Will take that advise! black cruiser? that picture does no justice.

Will take that advise! black cruiser? that picture does no justice.
No, it's barely visible - light blue LX. Orange tent. The scale throws you off because the area's so big. About 1 o'Clock above the fire ring in the center bottom.

thanks for the advice, if time wasnt such a problem hite or even hanksvile would be a game changer. Im expecting the worst of road conditions and if doll house really is 6 hrs from hans station? Interesting youre in broomfield i work on 116th.
Maybe more like 5 hours... you'll be in high range for a lot of that, like the first half or so. Just don't baja too crazy as there can be some suprise dips in there. but we made it home in 14 hours door to door, which included a 1 hour snow delay on Vail Pass. So could have been done in 13, and weren't really pushing it that hard. Left Dollhouse at 07:30, got home at 9:30 that night.

Maybe more like 5 hours... you'll be in high range for a lot of that, like the first half or so. Just don't baja too crazy as there can be some suprise dips in there. but we made it home in 14 hours door to door, which included a 1 hour snow delay on Vail Pass. So could have been done in 13, and weren't really pushing it that hard. Left Dollhouse at 07:30, got home at 9:30 that night.

How was the washboard when you went? For us it was an 8 on the Richter scale. Made for a very slow go, however I had OMEs then, Icons now so maybe it would go quicker.

How was the washboard when you went? For us it was an 8 on the Richter scale. Made for a very slow go, however I had OMEs then, Icons now so maybe it would go quicker.
It wasn't that bad... this was a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gotten worse since then.

It wasn't that bad... this was a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gotten worse since then.

We went in April of 2009 so may have been before the spring road maintenance.
@CorporalClegg road conditions can very a lot, so need to plan for that. I am sure the park service has mentioned that rain is pretty serious.
The Flint Trail has bentonite clay which when it gets wet is slipperier than a teflon pan covered in bacon grease, don't ask how I know.

Hanksville or Hite for gas as Nakman says. If you go out via Dirty Devil Crossing, what happens if you can't cross...think about that. Hanksville has a pretty cool gas station, too. Why so much water....showers?

Last edited:

That's good to know.

Hanksville or Hite for gas as Nakman says. If you go out via Dirty Devil Crossing, what happens if you can't cross...think about that. Hanksville has a pretty cool gas station, too. Why so much water....showers?

Better to have and not need than to need and not have type situation. But yes cleaning, "bathing" and the 22 yr old cruiser should that happen to become a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom