How much for an 88 FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a friend who is looking to sell her 88 FJ62 GX model (don't exactly know what that means) - but it's in good shape, not too much rust, 160k on the clock. Auto tranny, power locks and windows, etc. What do you guys think she's worth? This is here in Colorado. Any input appreciated!

:cheers:
Kevin

Hey, I don't have the pics here...I might try and get some up here later if possible. But I don't think it's that much. Do you have an idea about a range for a price - I think she's thinking about $2-3,000?? Something like that? Sound about right??

Thnx-
Kevin

FJ62 value

It depends on how much rust it has - but if the rust is minimal,
and you clean it up nicely, you should be able to get $4-5k.

I am going to meet with her this morning to get an assesment of what the rust is like - get some pics and post them here. Anywhere I should look at in particular? I am only familiar with the "rust zones" of a 40 - are the 60/62 series similar? i.e., back end sill, quarter panels, floorboards.

Thanks a lot! :cheers:
Kevin

In my experience 60 series rust around the rear fenders.. I have seen very few with rust on the tail gate or anything like that. You might check the rocker panels too...

The value is hard to peg down, depends where you are and what kind of market is there. I know that I have seen 60s in good condition holding at $4000-$5000 dollars for about 7yrs now. But every now and then I see one around $2500 that I would pay quite a bit for.

stinkyfj60 said:
In my experience 60 series rust around the rear fenders.. I have seen very few with rust on the tail gate or anything like that. You might check the rocker panels too...

The value is hard to peg down, depends where you are and what kind of market is there. I know that I have seen 60s in good condition holding at $4000-$5000 dollars for about 7yrs now. But every now and then I see one around $2500 that I would pay quite a bit for.

Jason,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out for sure around the fenders and rocker panels. Then I'll try and post the pics and see what you guys think.
BTW, what does the GX stand for??

Kevin

AspenFJ40 said:
Jason,

BTW, what does the GX stand for??

Kevin

GX refers to which option package came on the truck. For example power windows and mirrors were an option, though most came with them. I wouldn't worry about what GX stands for, just list the options in the ad, that will mean more to most.

Ok, checked it out this morning for her and took some shots. There is some rust - a bad spot on the back tailgate, but nothing awful. Take a looksee...but I also found out that's probably the least of her worries. There is no 4WD - what?? Well, there is 4WD, but her dad said it was "clicking" and so they removed the drive shaft! :confused: Um...ok.

There is also a cracked windshield (no biggie) and the interior is only ok. The diffs seemed leaky as did the oil pan. :frown: Good news is that the AT shifts well and the engine is tuned up nicely. Anyway, maybe her inital thought of asking around $2000 was correct afterall?

Here's the pics
front 62.jpg
62 drivers side.jpg
62 PS front.jpg

$1000 is what i would pay......if I wanted a rusty 62, with issues.

sounds like the t-case is buggered or the front end(birf or hubs)

all US fj62's are GX's, even if they aint got PW/PDL.

lovetoski said:
GX refers to which option package came on the truck. For example power windows and mirrors were an option, though most came with them. I wouldn't worry about what GX stands for, just list the options in the ad, that will mean more to most.

You could try and sell it for $2000, it would proly be in your best intrest to fix the 4 wheel drive and the oil leaks before you sell it.

Yeah, that one is a little more rough then I was picturing, especially if it has some sort of 4X issue. Not good.

stinkyfj60 said:
Yeah, that one is a little more rough then I was picturing, especially if it has some sort of 4X issue. Not good.

Agreed! I'll let her know the "mud" estimate - I also think $2000 might be pushing it with all the stuff that's wrong. I'll pass along the info. Glad I'm the "informant" and not the "seller" OR "buyer"!

Thanks guys!

Kevin

i would say $2K max b/c of the 4x issue. the rust isnt that bad, but it definately could be better. Tp be honest I wouldnt pay pver $1500 for it knowing the costs to fix the 4x. With it running right and a great interior it could probably go for at least $3500.

As always there are people who will quote high and low on here. I kinda try to go in between. It all depends on popularity and demand in your area, etc.

Ask 2K and you may get $1600. The rust is not terrible. She can cut it out of the fenders and put flares on for about $400. I hve flares on mine, and they look terrific. That rust on the tailgate is tipical beause the 4wd emblem was there.

If you don't care about rust and more rust, that is. Once it's in there, it never goes away. BTW, how's the rust on the frame? I looked at a similarly rusted FJ62 recently and the rust on the frame was just scary.

zcruiser said:
If you don't care about rust and more rust, that is. Once it's in there, it never goes away. BTW, how's the rust on the frame? I looked at a similarly rusted FJ62 recently and the rust on the frame was just scary.

The rust on the frame wasn't so bad - mostly surface stuff, but I was looking mainly at the disconnected drive shaft up front!! :whoops: Unfortunately, all the neglect the Cruiser has had really shows - the 4x4, the cracked windshield, the ripped seat. It's just a little neglected, but like I said, the engine ran smooth and the AT shifted smoothly. With someone, it could be a nice rig.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom