How much does your snorkel protrude over roof-line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Present: Seattle Past: Windhoek and Dar es Salaam
My son, who's a new driver and just beginning to get into all things cars, would like to add a snorkel to our LC. Not something I'd do normally but it sounds like a fun father son project and isn't a big money proposition using this.... Amazon product ASIN B00F926VE8
My problem is I'm real tight on garage clearance. The combination of slope into the garage, garage opening height and where the garage door hangs means I have to retract my antenna to get into the garage cleanly. If I had a stock roof rack (I have Eeze-Awn K9 rails) I don't think I'd fit.

That said, for those with snorkels, how far above the leading edge of the windscreen does your snorkel protrude? Will I need to take the head off every time I park inside?

Cheers,
Chris

Photographic evidence of tight vertical fit.
8024A8B9-5C81-4181-B479-A98A9A791C39.JPG

I've got the same one on my truck. It doesn't go higher than the roof, and you can actually trim the vertical section the snorkel head connects to a few inches. That's what I did more for looks than anything.

Jim
canoe2.jpg

Mine looks the same model and it does not even come as high as the base of the facory roof rack. The snorkel keeps dust out. I did about 30 mile drive behind another 4x4 on a dirt road. Dust is all over the road and simetimes, I cannot see the road ahead. Once I got home, I checked the airfilter thinking I'll have to clean it. I was arong.... it was white and clean as the day I installed it.

My son, who's a new driver and just beginning to get into all things cars, would like to add a snorkel to our LC. Not something I'd do normally but it sounds like a fun father son project and isn't a big money proposition using this.... Amazon product ASIN B00F926VE8
My problem is I'm real tight on garage clearance. The combination of slope into the garage, garage opening height and where the garage door hangs means I have to retract my antenna to get into the garage cleanly. If I had a stock roof rack (I have Eeze-Awn K9 rails) I don't think I'd fit.

That said, for those with snorkels, how far above the leading edge of the windscreen does your snorkel protrude? Will I need to take the head off every time I park inside?

Cheers,
Chris

Photographic evidence of tight vertical fit.
View attachment 3095626

The angle of the vehicle in the pic below is a bit deceptive but the ARB Safari snorkel would be an "interference fit" at your house without a significant renovation!

Suggest check out the watertightness of whatever brand/model/type of snorkel you eventually choose, including the installation details. A snorkel can result in an increased willingness to try "aqua-adventures"!! Best not to discover midstream that the Seller's warranty may not be worth the soggy paper it is written on, let alone worth the cost of an engine re-build :bang:

LC100 with ARB Bar.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom