How much does the body (the cab, from the firewall to the back door) weigh? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing a project where I am removing the body (truck was totaled) from the frame, and mounting it on a trailer frame (for a camping trailer).

How much does it weight, and had anyone done it? (except for that one pic on the internet of the half body trailer that nobody knows who it is). Any thoughts?

like this, but up to the firewall:

25066820086_e01fdec6c5_c.jpg

I think the motor weighs around 600 pounds IIRC and the front axle and wheels probably weigh another 450 plus maybe a few hundred for the front clip and the rest of the stuff up front. Maybe another 150 for the seats and other stuff. Not sure on the tranny, driveshafts, etc, but let's say another 500.

I think the curb weight of the whole truck is around 4800 pounds in stock form. I would guess what you want will end up weighing around 3000 pounds.

Minus the frame though, maybe 1k pounds?

It will rest on the trailer frame. 3k for the cab sounds really high. I was guessing closer to 5-800 pounds, but I guess I'm underestimating

Wait, so all you are using is the body? I guess I didn't look that closely at the example you showed, but I assumed you were using the whole back end and just welding on a V with a trailer hitch onto it. The body alone is probably around 800 pounds but I think that included the front clip.

Yes, just the body. I was thinking of doing it like a pickup trailer at first, but I want trailer brakes and lighter weight, so I'm going with a premade frame.

Any progress? I'd like to attempt this too!

I'm attempting this on my 100 series. Keeping the frame on it though and just welding a trailer axle to the frame. Let me know if you make any progress, post pictures!

I'm attempting this on my 100 series. Keeping the frame on it though and just welding a trailer axle to the frame. Let me know if you make any progress, post pictures!
Here you go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom