How much cash do you carry around normally?

How much cash do you carry around in your wallet/purse/fanny-back/garter-belt/thong, etc?

I carry almost none, usually actually none, not by design, but that's just how it works out, everyone takes credit-cards now, so I use my debit card for everything...I think I have one Disney Dollar in my wallet now.. :D

My old boss years ago felt naked without atleast $300 cash at all times...I can understand if traveling or in unfamiliar territory where you might need to actually buy something with cash, but around me that just isn't needed...could I have $300 cash at all times? Sure...but then I'd spend it all at garage sales...man if a garage sale would take a CC I'd be set!!

Between $40 (gas & food funds) and $200 (max my atm hands out). I use cash almost exclusively. Ehh so maybe I'm paranoid, but I figure that if the bank ever starts sharing data with other big companies I'd be screwed. If my insurance company ever saw how much McD's I eat they'd double my rates!

I usually carry just about nothing as well. Debit everything. I hate having to get cash because I just blow it on useless crap I don't need.

GetsUThere said:
Between $40 (gas & food funds) and $200 (max my atm hands out). I use cash almost exclusively. Ehh so maybe I'm paranoid, but I figure that if the bank ever starts sharing data with other big companies I'd be screwed. If my insurance company ever saw how much McD's I eat they'd double my rates!
$200?? Wow, I know I can get atleast $500/day out of mine, done that for awhile, wanted to get some cash out to have around the house (read: to hide it so I and the wife wouldn't spend it)..rather than actually go to the counter, I just went to the ATM every day for like 6 days and got $500 out each time, I think I tried more once and it wouldn't let me have it...bastards! :D

I figure all banks do share info, but I don't care...I should carry more cash though, never know when an emergency happens or a great find at a garage sale! :D

I usually get $100 out of the bank on Friday, and carry that around as it dwindles down during the week. $6 in there right now, but I'm sure I'll fill it back up tonight. Ever since I had kids I don't feel comfortable without some cash on me.

Matador98 said:
I hate having to get cash because I just blow it on useless crap I don't need.
That's so funny, I'm the same way. It useto be people would spend cautiously with cash and go crazy with credit cards, but I'm not like that at all, if I have cash it's such a novelty I just buy crap I don't really need... :doh:

I used to use debit for everything up until 3 months ago, then we started a cash budget, using envelopes for different categories, etc. Now I carry ~$20 or whatever amount I need for what I plan to spend that day. I still have my debit/ATM for unexpected expenses and for gas. I also keep a checkbook in the console, so it is never far if I need it.

When I started my cash budget the teller looked at me funny on pay day when I took ~$2000 out in $20 bills and smaller :) , she had to replenish her cash drawer, and I had about an inch thick wad o' money!

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!

If I am feeling rich I might have a 10 spot in my wallet, otherwise nothing but lint and plastic wrapped in black leather. Same goes for my wallet too! :grinpimp:

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor

I like cash and normally carry more than I should but on the flip side I have no checking acc, no debit card, and no ATM card, but I do carry a Visa.

Currently $20 - $200.

I carried minimal cash for years in LA - great way to save money - avoiding little impulse buys. Also could pay with a credit card for anything I needed.

Always carry cash now. Credit cards are a relative pita to use in Queensland for various reasons, and with a three year old you never know when a morning at the beach will turn into lunch at the fish and chips. Also clerks are trained to give you the stinkeye when you whip out the plastic.

David

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

I'll usually pull $200 out of the ATM. That gets spent on whatever...lunch, groceries, incidentals...or pilfered by the wife who "doesn't have time to go to the ATM"

I run out...stop by the ATM and get another $200 out.

In LA I always did the few ATM runs we needed. The wife didn't even have a card. The homeless folk hanging around the ATMs in our neighborhood (Venice/Santa Monica border) were basically permanent fixtures. They never said squat to me, but hit her up constantly. Made me nervous enough that when she lost her card, I didn't suggest she replace it.

Didn't have to worry about her being that one-in-a-million carjack-ATM hostage, either. In the words of Forrest Gump, "one less thing."

NorCalDoug said:
I'll usually pull $200 out of the ATM. That gets spent on whatever...lunch, groceries, incidentals...or pilfered by the wife who "doesn't have time to go to the ATM"

I run out...stop by the ATM and get another $200 out.
Same here.

I do use VISA for most stuff to make the cash last longer (and earn interest at 1% on their money).

Top Bottom