How much and what to look for in a 40 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Well I have a question for all you 40 series owners. I found a 1975 fj40 that comes with soft and hard tops front fenders in good shape plus the originals on it, and a set of rear fender flares. The original 6 clyinder and 4 speed (i believe) susposedly work. I am not sure what kind of shape it really is in, I did look at it but it's been sitting in the giggy weeds for years. It could be in really rough shape I know it is rusted pretty rusty around the back. What do I need to check for in paticular, and what would be a good price. I want a 40 series to put in my garage and fix up for 95 percent off road use.

Rusted? 1K? Maybe...

If it is rusted around the back, odds on it has rust in many other locations too....

To me, a rusty Land Cruiser is not worth a whole lot...

But there are people out there that have paid a pile of cash for a rolling wreck, and are very proud to have done so..

You would be better off finding something clean in the long run.

Good luck!

-Steve

I've just paid €500 ($400) for 3 rusted to melting point 40's. Engines supposedly good, chassis' seem good, panels shot by the rustmeister! Work ahead, expense first.

I'd approach it as buying a frame, cowl, axles and a drivetrain. If the frame and/or cowl is shot I'd just walk away. If the engine, tranny, and transfer case are functioning I'd consider buying it if it were cheap enough (say under $1,500), with the idea of replacing all the rest of the body parts, interior, etc. If the drivetain and cowl are gone than you'd just be buying a frame which I wouldn't think would be worth too much but at least a starting place for building a truck from the ground up. It seems like with that approach at least you'd have the satisfaction of building the truck that you want and knowing it was done right. I'd guess it'd cost you $15 - 25 K. Maybe somebody that's done it could give you a better idea of the cost.

Just for reference....
I was in Knoxville, TN last weekend visiting the outlaws bored to death so I look in the classifieds to see if there are any FJ40's/ low and behold I find a 77 that according to the gentileman on the other end of the phone claims it is a two owner, all original 77 in desert tan with a M16 or whatever trailer, 77,000 "original" miles (as opposed to "unoriginal???"), "'with a little rust" for a cool $7000. . Having nothing better to do I go look at it with my father-in-law who thinks anything that isn't new and leasted is junk. Well, 0 well, he realy must think I'm nuts now.

This thing was a rolling piece of s***. It was so rusted from the doorhandles down I could see daylight through the rust holes looking from the inside. I was affraid to open the rear doors or rotate the spare as I figured they would fall off. Even with extended shackels in the rear it sagged so bad it looked like it was getting ready to pop a wheely or a dog sitting down. Hey, it had the original map light, jack and tool kit so at least according to the fools, er, a people selling this stuff on Ebay it was worth at least $1000 just for those alone.

I should have taken some pics but I was affraid I would insult the guy. I truly felt sorry for him that he was such a stupid bastard. Well, maybe he lost his pension or something and he was trying to make some of it up on me. I don't know.

I suggested his asking price was "a little on the optimistic side". He asked me what I thought it was worth and I couldn't help but think of the $500 rust heaps I have bought with remorse over spending too much. I was not blessed with tact so I have to work at it very hard and I'm sure I offended the guy. Pat, if you're out there it's a $300-400 parts donor. Anybody interested PM me and I'll give you his phone number in Oak Ridge, TN.

My point is this. There are some fools out there- on both ends of the transactions. I have paid to much and he's one of many that thinks they got a "perfect candidate for a restoration". Buyer beware!! The best tool is knowledge.

Last edited:
Truth be told I paid way too much for my 74 fj40. The rear sill is rotted and the floor boards have been been glassed to hide the rust holes. The truck had 300,000 miles on it when i bought it. The wiring had been hacked into by every Tom Dick and Harry who ever got their hands on it. The hard top is rotted around the top,,,maybe it was stored upside down and held water in it all winter for years?
To me this is the greatest, most beautiful truck in the world. Did The previous owner get over on me? Not really. I knew what I was buying and I knew the condition. I have had more aggrevation and even more fun with this rig than I thought was possible. I wish I would have known about this website earlier, But I do not regret buying my baby.
You have the the IH8MUD website before you buy so you will do better than I did, but get a 40, You will never regret it! Pup

IMO

95 percent trail rig, why would you want anything clean?

I am not a puriest by any means, but you are planning to drive a perfectly clean
rig through some of the most nasty, harsh, moist, mud, trees, rocks (whatever trips
your trigger) but want a clean rig?

Some people do not care at all, but "clean" just puts a limit to what you do with the rig.

rust offer less, pay 1k and build it like you want it. pay 1k and use it like you want to.

1k rig is alot more fun rolled then 10k rig rolled, 1k would have been more places before then.

things to look for in a FJ40, should be a FAQ , a previous thread, etc... major points, brakes, engine, trans, and body change. Search.

I bought the rig in Tucson that was posted here a few days ago. $2,700 I picked it up for... A good friend of mine bought one with more bells and all, new so the better front end but paid $10,000 and looks wise they're a tie, inside mine is better. Point is, I toss $1,500 at mine and I'll be happy as can be...

Buy the least that'll get you buy, look for a deal and build as you break it if you're buying a trail rig. Finding a deal on a done up cruiser is tough, finding a deal on a cruiser given some time isn't.. Then finding deals on parts as you go is pretty easy too.. Upgrade when you break it or find a deal...

well the guy told me 1500.00 and said before he parked it in the weeds it ran and drove. I don't expect to much of the body, but brakes and suspension is my main concern. Was just wondering if the price was right on, I'll try to snap a few pics and get on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom