how meny amps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anybody know how meny amps my bj74 draws because the tojo dealer tolled me that my alternator only pump out 25 amps max :eek:
which isnt alot and the other thing how do i activate the head light washers :)

BJ60 and BJ70 = ±40amp

HTH

the headlight washers are activated when you have ht eheadlights turned on and use the normal washer system...

A vehicle made in 1988-89-90 should produce much more than 40 amps shouldnt it?

An Australian market BJ74 should have 55A, frp88. If yours is a 24V Japanese import it might only put out 25A.

Dave

Dave S (and other experts):

When I was installing Bruce's (A2b in a tlc) off road lighting yesterday, I noticed that his truck didn't have the external voltage regulator on the right fender like mine does. He has a 1988 BJ74 just like mine, but his has all the power options. We were wondering if there was a change in alternators midway through the model year, or if he has a bigger alternator maybe with a built in regulator to compensate for all the electrical accessories that were installed from the factory?

Unfortunately the install went a lot longer than planned and we didn't have time to closely compare our two alternators. Hoping for the lazy man's answer out. Thanks. :D

Stone said:
Dave S (and other experts):

When I was installing Bruce's (A2b in a tlc) off road lighting yesterday, I noticed that his truck didn't have the external voltage regulator on the right fender like mine does. He has a 1988 BJ74 just like mine, but his has all the power options. We were wondering if there was a change in alternators midway through the model year, or if he has a bigger alternator maybe with a built in regulator to compensate for all the electrical accessories that were installed from the factory?

Unfortunately the install went a lot longer than planned and we didn't have time to closely compare our two alternators. Hoping for the lazy man's answer out. Thanks. :D

I am 90% sure my 89' Bj74 has the regulator built into the alternator. I will check and report back tonight. I am also sure it puts out more than 25amps.

Michael

The 13BT 24V alternator from Japan is 30amps. Some of the 3B 24V alternators are 25 amps, and some 30 amps (LX vs STD).

Remember, 24V's is more efficient. If it was 12V you would need to double the amps.

Strange on the alternator Stone. I don't have my BJ74 here to check. I have only seen the external so far, and all our spares are external iirc.

Two part numbers show as relevant. Check the part numbers when you check to see if yours is internal and external.

27020-56400
27020-56320 (with p/s)

gb

Greg_B said:
Strange on the alternator Stone. I don't have my BJ74 here to check. I have only seen the external so far, and all our spares are external iirc.
gb

I was wrong. I got to drive the BJ74 tonight, and remembered to pop the hood. My BJ74 is an internal regulator. I wonder if the change from external to internal for the JDM 13BT BJ74 is Red Block vs Blue Block. (Red being external and blue being internal).

Michael, I would guess yours is blue block then, and internal...

Either are still 30amps at 24V's though.

gb

I wonder what the amperage with my 1994 1HZ is?

Ok guys so correct me if Im wrong here. When you have a 24V system it really is important to install a 24V winch right? Because a 24V winch draws much less amps than the same winch in 12V. And because your system is 24V you wont have the alternator to supply the amperage to support that 12V winch when it draws 465 amps at full load....

Is my logic correct here guys?

Tom

Tom: Also, think about voltage as the force that pushes the electrons, and the amperage as the number of electrons being pushed. Hooking up a 12v winch in a 24v system would also mean a lot more current running through it...which is why a 12v winch works so fast in a 24v system.

Ohms Law.

Just for argument's sake, let's say a 12v winch draws 100A when operating. This would mean that the resistance in that winch is 0.12 ohms. Now you take that 12v winch and double the voltage to it by hooking it up to 24v. The internal resistance of the winch remains the same at 0.12 ohms, but putting 24v into it now means that it's making 200 A.

Greg_B said:
I was wrong. I got to drive the BJ74 tonight, and remembered to pop the hood. My BJ74 is an internal regulator. I wonder if the change from external to internal for the JDM 13BT BJ74 is Red Block vs Blue Block. (Red being external and blue being internal).

Michael, I would guess yours is blue block then, and internal...

Either are still 30amps at 24V's though.

gb
mine is blue block external reg. well 30 amps isnt too bad
some off the winch challange guys do that for double line speed :bounce2:
but the trend is more for hydraulic and pto :bounce:

Stone said:
Tom: Also, think about voltage as the force that pushes the electrons, and the amperage as the number of electrons being pushed. Hooking up a 12v winch in a 24v system would also mean a lot more current running through it...which is why a 12v winch works so fast in a 24v system.

Ohms Law.

Just for argument's sake, let's say a 12v winch draws 100A when operating. This would mean that the resistance in that winch is 0.12 ohms. Now you take that 12v winch and double the voltage to it by hooking it up to 24v. The internal resistance of the winch remains the same at 0.12 ohms, but putting 24v into it now means that it's making 200 A.
so this is why it works so well, then, eh?
;^)

frp88 said:
mine is blue block external reg. well 30 amps isnt too bad
some off the winch challange guys do that for double line speed :bounce2:
but the trend is more for hydraulic and pto :bounce:

Damn...just when you think you have something...

Is your BJ74 a JDM BJ74? They specs really do vary depending on what market the truck was manufactured for. The 24v 30amp spec is confirmed for JDM BJ74's only.

And you're sure...blue block? What month manufactured? A blue block could end up in a reb blocked truck (replacement engine), which would then still have to run the external regulator.

Thanks

gb

Last edited:
crushers said:
so this is why it works so well, then, eh?
;^)

Think of it as propane injection for your winch, Wayne...LOL. :D :beer:

Frp88: the only thing about my PTO winch that I don't like it the way it sticks out so far, affecting my approach angle. For the number of times that I've had to use it (once so far), I would have prefered a good electric winch mounted close the the front grill in a nice ARB bumper or something.

tlcruiserman said:
I am 90% sure my 89' Bj74 has the regulator built into the alternator. I will check and report back tonight. I am also sure it puts out more than 25amps.Michael

So what is yours Micheal? Lets add to the collective knowledge and see if we can figure this....

gb

Sorry for delay on this. I looked at mine 89' Bj74 fully loaded (really everthing you can think of) Blue block and it looks like the the regulator is integrated. I say that because the wires go right into the harness and I can not find an external regulator anywhere under the hood.

Here is the interesting part in the symatics it shows they can with and without integrated regulator the only difference I could find on the symatics is the integrated on had a round connector end with three wires in it and the ones with external regulator have a square connector end (like three squared one stacked on top of two) with three wires. When I looked at my connector the ends (that connect to each other) are squared so I am not sure, maybe they are hidding the regulator :confused:

I would like for a the production date but I have no ides where to find it (no plate on door jam) can someone tell me where else to find it??

Thanks,

Michael

O.k Greg I Dont Know What Jdm I Gess Jap Domestic Market If So Yes It Is
Stone I Use Mine More Like A Launch Ramp When I Get My Camera Back Ill Post Some Picks
ISNT THE MANUFACTURING DATE ON THE PLATE MIDDLE OFF FIREWALL :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom