1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many run drive plates (not hubs)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tonkota, Jul 24, 2005.

1. tonkota

tonkota

Media:
    What I'm thinking is that the Pig won't be driven much, 1000 miles a year maybe? How many of you use drive plates (drive flange)?

An for those that have trail only rigs, why do you run hubs? As a fuse of sorts?

Thoughts? :popcorn:

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

the 69/40 i'm working on, will be street driven mostly and i hope to find some plates for it.

for some reason i thought about them for my daily driven 77/40, but milage with gas the way it is and just the extra wear on the front end made me think against them.

3. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

I run hubs because they are easy to disengage if something breaks - like a front pinion :( - no hubs = lots of dismantling before truck is mobile.
    They're not a fuse - lots of other things break first :(

I do plan to get a drive plate as a trail replacement if I do break a hub

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    my green 82 fj40 had drive plates on it sense new untill 2-3 years ago, did 132K with the driveplates, yes more wear on the front, milage was almost(maybe 1 more MPG) the same when I went to Aisan locking hubs.

5. Desertdave

Desertdave

Drive plates

I'd like a set to carry as trail spares, assuming they aren't too expensive. Yet I have never seen them on any of the FJ40's I've looked at. Are they at all common, and I haven't been observant, or are these another one of those rare-made of unobtainium parts that Landpimp has?

6. Fireman

Fireman SILVER Star

If I run hummer wheels when I eventually use my front dana 60, I will use them to keep the hubs from sticking out too far. Trail use rig only.

7. LC_Hamma

LC_Hamma The Anti-Leafer

1K miles a year, I'd run lockouts. To the trail & trail only, slugs. Since mine is the latter, I chose to fab up a heavy duty cap for rock duty & to keep my Longfields secured with the bolt on the end:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    if I recall you can use 80 series drive plates, which are $30-ish each, I think the 40 plates are a bit more but still availbile.

my 82 is the only cruiser I have seen with them myself. Most were tossed in favor of locking hubs(mostly Warn)

9. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

My '63 FJ40 has drive plates, that's what it had when I got it. I put some Warns on it for a while, then needed a Warn on the 55 so I robbed the Warns off the 40 and put the drive plates back on it. It (the 40) rarely gets driven more than around the block every few weeks anymore.