How many run drive plates (not hubs) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the 69/40 i'm working on, will be street driven mostly and i hope to find some plates for it.

for some reason i thought about them for my daily driven 77/40, but milage with gas the way it is and just the extra wear on the front end made me think against them.

I run hubs because they are easy to disengage if something breaks - like a front pinion :( - no hubs = lots of dismantling before truck is mobile.
They're not a fuse - lots of other things break first :(

I do plan to get a drive plate as a trail replacement if I do break a hub

my green 82 fj40 had drive plates on it sense new untill 2-3 years ago, did 132K with the driveplates, yes more wear on the front, milage was almost(maybe 1 more MPG) the same when I went to Aisan locking hubs.

Drive plates

I'd like a set to carry as trail spares, assuming they aren't too expensive. Yet I have never seen them on any of the FJ40's I've looked at. Are they at all common, and I haven't been observant, or are these another one of those rare-made of unobtainium parts that Landpimp has?

If I run hummer wheels when I eventually use my front dana 60, I will use them to keep the hubs from sticking out too far. Trail use rig only.

1K miles a year, I'd run lockouts. To the trail & trail only, slugs. Since mine is the latter, I chose to fab up a heavy duty cap for rock duty & to keep my Longfields secured with the bolt on the end:

Last edited:
if I recall you can use 80 series drive plates, which are $30-ish each, I think the 40 plates are a bit more but still availbile.

my 82 is the only cruiser I have seen with them myself. Most were tossed in favor of locking hubs(mostly Warn)

Desertdave said:
I'd like a set to carry as trail spares, assuming they aren't too expensive. Yet I have never seen them on any of the FJ40's I've looked at. Are they at all common, and I haven't been observant, or are these another one of those rare-made of unobtainium parts that Landpimp has?

My '63 FJ40 has drive plates, that's what it had when I got it. I put some Warns on it for a while, then needed a Warn on the 55 so I robbed the Warns off the 40 and put the drive plates back on it. It (the 40) rarely gets driven more than around the block every few weeks anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom