How many run drive plates (not hubs)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tonkota, Jul 24, 2005.

1. tonkota

tonkota

Media:
    What I'm thinking is that the Pig won't be driven much, 1000 miles a year maybe? How many of you use drive plates (drive flange)?

An for those that have trail only rigs, why do you run hubs? As a fuse of sorts?

Thoughts? :popcorn:

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

the 69/40 i'm working on, will be street driven mostly and i hope to find some plates for it.

for some reason i thought about them for my daily driven 77/40, but milage with gas the way it is and just the extra wear on the front end made me think against them.

3. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

I run hubs because they are easy to disengage if something breaks - like a front pinion :( - no hubs = lots of dismantling before truck is mobile.
    They're not a fuse - lots of other things break first :(

I do plan to get a drive plate as a trail replacement if I do break a hub

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    my green 82 fj40 had drive plates on it sense new untill 2-3 years ago, did 132K with the driveplates, yes more wear on the front, milage was almost(maybe 1 more MPG) the same when I went to Aisan locking hubs.

5. Desertdave

Desertdave

Drive plates

I'd like a set to carry as trail spares, assuming they aren't too expensive. Yet I have never seen them on any of the FJ40's I've looked at. Are they at all common, and I haven't been observant, or are these another one of those rare-made of unobtainium parts that Landpimp has?

6. Fireman

Fireman SILVER Star

If I run hummer wheels when I eventually use my front dana 60, I will use them to keep the hubs from sticking out too far. Trail use rig only.

7. LC_Hamma

LC_Hamma The Anti-Leafer

1K miles a year, I'd run lockouts. To the trail & trail only, slugs. Since mine is the latter, I chose to fab up a heavy duty cap for rock duty & to keep my Longfields secured with the bolt on the end:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  8. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    if I recall you can use 80 series drive plates, which are $30-ish each, I think the 40 plates are a bit more but still availbile.

my 82 is the only cruiser I have seen with them myself. Most were tossed in favor of locking hubs(mostly Warn)

9. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

My '63 FJ40 has drive plates, that's what it had when I got it. I put some Warns on it for a while, then needed a Warn on the 55 so I robbed the Warns off the 40 and put the drive plates back on it. It (the 40) rarely gets driven more than around the block every few weeks anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.