how many mods are too many if (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
colorado front range north Lat: 40:23:57N (40.399
Website
www.rm-mi.net
have not seen, may not have looked hard enough, but looking for feedback on use of the type-80 for long weekend getaway jaunts...

if the goal is to get out and explore far and widein rocky mountain region, how much do i keep the 94 stock yoda stock and how much do i lift armour up and add gear?

- i would like to tow a small gear trailor like say 3,000 GVW 6x12 with food and base camp and other wood toys like bikes motorcycles etc
- i would like to explore all the rocky mountains and not as into rock crawling damage as i am into getting into some of the well known trails like, perl pass, white rim, trails around crested butte or medicine bow WY....

of course it looks sexy and cool to have 1000$ bumpers front and back with winch and sliders and 2.5 or 3" lift or roof rack with ax and shovel rock jack and alternate spare located on roof or tailgate... and

and

what thoughts have you guys already gone thru in finding balance of trip ability to mods for harder trails

thanks

justin

northern colorado front range
newbie with 94 stock and new GY silent armour 285 75/16s

I'm gonna get this moved to 80's tech where it belongs................

IMOP- if you're planning on going 'deep' then you need at minimum:

- winch
- 33" M/T's
- small lift

I love to wheel in the same kind of stuff you suggest, and LOVE crested butte. Try Gunsight pass someday... it's hairy.

I have a fairly well appointed FJ40, SOA, gears, lockers etc. etc.
Great rig but it sucks for longer trips.
So we got a UZJ100.

THE PLAN™is to keep it fairly stock, we'll see how that works out. ;)

What we have agreed on so far,
-OME medium lift.
-285/75R16 Geolanders.
-The running boards are already history. Mud flaps so to follow.
-The spare will stay in the stock location.
-Drawers in the back.
-:princess: has already nixed any kind of roof rack. We'll see how that goes when the dog winds up in her lap because we ran out of room. ;)
-2M/7cm radio
-Sliders

Stuff I still need to get by the finiance commitie (AKA :princess: );
-I'd like a swing out rack to hold a couple of gerry cans for water and fuel.
-Front ARB, rear has factory locker.
-Arb/Engle fridge

I want to avoid the armor as much as possiable because I don't want to lose any more fuel economy, it will force me to not take the rig on technical trails, I don't want to spend the time or money, and most important, :princess: does not want the rig to look to safari like.

So for me the above amount of mods are just right.

That is a subjective question. A lot of what you read about are wants and not needs. I truly believe all you really need, based on your post, are:

1. A locked 80
2. Upgraded suspension kit (shocks, springs, castor correction) lift height depends on you. 2.5 OME would work for you.
3. Larger tires. 285 75 16's
4. Sliders (if nothing else to protect your rocker panels cause they are expensive to replace)
5. Transfer case skid plate

With these mods, you can go and do quite a bit. Now with that being said, for me a bullbar is needed as at times I drive where I could smack a big critter and felt it is good protection for my family and truck.

Buck Buchanan

I think Buckaroo was right on. I rode up Pearl pass in a blizzard last summer on the YZ and it gets nasty in spots. Get plenty of armor, tires and a lift. Possibly a winch if solo and lockers are a must. I passed a 80 on the way up and he wasnt moving too quick. That area is becoming tops on my list and is starting to beat out MOAB. Just my opinion though. Hit it in the fall late summer and don't forget the camera!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom