How Many Miles is Too Many? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dilemma. I'm looking to trade my 100 for an 80, and I haven't had much luck, except what seems like the perfect situation. Guy is only about an hour away and his 80 looks great. Has a lift but I'm ok with that (though depending on specs I may remove).

The issue. My LX470 has under 200k and this 80 has 360k. Its otherwise VERY clean. Am I making an emotional decision here or am I in decent shape?

Notably this will be my daily but not my only vehicle. I also have a 2005 TJ that I drive when its not raining or extremely hot. Help me make sense (or not) of this trade.

Not enough info.

There are more considerations beside miles. If your 100 is a POS and the 80 is wonderfully maintained and recently rebuilt it might make sense but outside of that I personally wouldn’t take the deal.

Not enough info.

There are more considerations beside miles. If your 100 is a POS and the 80 is wonderfully maintained and recently rebuilt it might make sense but outside of that I personally wouldn’t take the deal.
Fair. I dont really know without looking at it. I'm going this weekend. My 100 is not a POS. Great mechanically but aesthetically its not stellar. Its had 2 crashes listed on carfax which js what is turning people off I think whereas this 80 has not had anything.

I’m at 385k, I’ll let you know when I find out.

Haha this is kind of what I expected to hear. Its weird because I'm VERY pragmatic when it comes to my vehicles, but this seems like an emotional decision. At the same time, though, I feel like with enough care and the right replacement parts as needed I could resell it later for more anyway with the way 80s are going.

I slapped a turbo on mine at 315k and getting ready to do it again at 335k. Engine is in good shape, but not perfect (some leaks, internal and external, but nothing big). PO said the whole drivetrain was replaced at 200k, but provided no documentation and the state of leaks when I acquired the LX makes me pretty skeptical, so I've just been going on the assumption it's all original.

To me the trade would hinge on very thorough maintenance records. I wouldn't make a trade from a mechanically sound and familiar (meaning you know what has been done and when) vehicle to an unfamiliar one without a lot of documentation. Unless you're just really into 80's and like doing PM projects.

Mine was in very rough shape at 276k when I Bought it for $400. It’s very reliable and running good at 320k. It’s all about the price when your buy it and a lot of work baselining. You should sell the 100 And take your time finding the right 80. It would be hard to find the right 80 that some one it willing to trade But everyone likes cash.

Mine was in very rough shape at 276k when I Bought it for $400. It’s very reliable and running good at 320k. It’s all about the price when your buy it and a lot of work baselining. You should sell the 100 And take your time finding the right 80. It would be hard to find the right 80 that some one it willing to trade But everyone likes cash.
I've had it listed. Maybe I'll be more patient.

Having moved from a 2004 "in my family since purchase" perfect 100-Series with 120K miles to a totally unknown with no service records 80-Series with 200k miles, I can speak authoritatively about the emotional purchase process. I just love the 80, so it was an easy decision. in the 65k miles since owing it, I've rebuild both axles, completely redone the suspension, overhauled the cooling system with all new OEM parts, reskinned all three rows of the interior, put in a new OEM short block at 256k miles when my HG let go, replaced the motor mounts, overhauled the emission system and replaced three of the four door locks. It's super reliable. Totally wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

In all seriousness, every problem on these rigs is well known. If you go into it knowing you're going to have to fix things as they break, it's all good. The 80 is just as reliable as the 100, but I find it monumentaly easier to work on. As with any vehicle it's just how dedicated you want to be with service and maintenance.

Sometimes, I miss the interior space of the Hundy, and the smoothness of that IFS, but then I see one on the road and I'm reminded how utterly plan it looks. The 80 has way more presence. And doesn't wind all the HVAC controls through that atrocious head unit.

Having moved from a 2004 "in my family since purchase" perfect 100-Series with 120K miles to a totally unknown with no service records 80-Series with 200k miles, I can speak authoritatively about the emotional purchase process. I just love the 80, so it was an easy decision. in the 65k miles since owing it, I've rebuild both axles, completely redone the suspension, overhauled the cooling system with all new OEM parts, reskinned all three rows of the interior, put in a new OEM short block at 256k miles when my HG let go, replaced the motor mounts, overhauled the emission system and replaced three of the four door locks. It's super reliable. Totally wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

In all seriousness, every problem on these rigs is well known. If you go into it knowing you're going to have to fix things as they break, it's all good. The 80 is just as reliable as the 100, but I find it monumentaly easier to work on. As with any vehicle it's just how dedicated you want to be with service and maintenance.

Sometimes, I miss the interior space of the Hundy, and the smoothness of that IFS, but then I see one on the road and I'm reminded how utterly plan it looks. The 80 has way more presence. And doesn't wind all the HVAC controls through that atrocious head unit.
It seems you and I have a similar mentality toward the 100. It is boring, boring in the BEST way possible, but boring nonetheless. I'll go check this one out for sure as it looks very well maintained. I'll ask the seller if there are maintenance records but I doubt there are. I'll drive it and feel it out. Ultimately I feel like I'm doomed to make the trade regardless but I'm going to try my hardest to be extremely critical. Mostly my concern is rust.

It seems you and I have a similar mentality toward the 100. It is boring, boring in the BEST way possible, but boring nonetheless. I'll go check this one out for sure as it looks very well maintained. I'll ask the seller if there are maintenance records but I doubt there are. I'll drive it and feel it out. Ultimately I feel like I'm doomed to make the trade regardless but I'm going to try my hardest to be extremely critical. Mostly my concern is rust.
An 80 on the street is just as boring as the 100. The 80 must be used off road as it was intended to be used for you to realize it’s hidden advantages that are exciting if not down right amazing.

An 80 on the street is just as boring as the 100. The 80 must be used off road as it was intended to be used for you to realize it’s hidden advantages that are exciting if not down right amazing.
that's the idea. With this pandemic crap we've been taking a lot of road trips to places, and now my son is 2.5 i would like more of those trips to be wilderness / camping / off-road type trips. Thinking of a vehicle that can get a family of 3 off-road reliably and at the top of the list is an 80 series. if this doesn't work out my next venture is going to be to trade my 100 and mt TJ in toward a JKUR.

There was an 80 on copart auctions last year that still ran with 998k on the odometer...
The horse power of the 100 is way nicer. The wrecks you already know and understand...

But having bought a 100 and an 80. I would miss my 80 if it were gone. I wouldn't really miss the 100 that I am fixing up for the GF. It just isn't for me I guess. I personally would let the other guy have the regrets.

There was an 80 on copart auctions last year that still ran with 998k on the odometer...
The horse power of the 100 is way nicer. The wrecks you already know and understand...

But having bought a 100 and an 80. I would miss my 80 if it were gone. I wouldn't really miss the 100 that I am fixing up for the GF. It just isn't for me I guess. I personally would let the other guy have the regrets.
oh man oh man - this is tough. i'm hoping it's just a creampuff when i see it. i asked about rust and the person (who i am not sure speaks english) said " it has rust but ,the frame is in perfect condition. "which i'm taking to mean the rust is elsewhere (in which case i'm fine with that). it's an hour drive, so i'll go check on it saturday.

If you are not interested in the 100 as a project etc. And you will be interested and motivated on the 80 then it is just about if that one is for you or do you wait. The rest of the logic is over already.

If you are not interested in the 100 as a project etc. And you will be interested and motivated on the 80 then it is just about if that one is for you or do you wait. The rest of the logic is over already.
well i tend to collect projects, but i have an extremely creampuff '05 TJ and only a 6 mile commute to work every day, so i almost always drive the TJ. I would never be without a vehicle really.

Maint history and underside are key IMHO..... I've gone from 25's to a build 200 back to an 80 and it's just the right fit for me....I loved my 100 and it had the trd charger but it lacked the soul of the 80....

anything past a bajillion is almost too much.

seriously, I think 360k to me would mean a very close inspection and ideally a long talk with he owner about maintenance and repairs done, records of such would be nice too.

I’d want to know if it uses oil & how much - sadly not something you generally get an honest answer to.

I’d ask if the headgasket is original or a replacement?

If replaced, was the head surfaced & were the stem seals changed?

I’d also want to know the last FR axle service done?

The conventional thought is the block/rings/pistons 1st overbore is ~500K, 2nd can be done too.

I’d want to see receipts galore & do a very good inspection from running every last control to doing full lock circles to see if the birfields are ‘clicking’ AKA need replacing or swapping side-for-side.

These generally hold up well compared to much of anything else with 360K on it, but you’ll need to fine-tooth comb it like anything w/ those miles on it.

The stickies up top have some good primers for pre-buying, and Slee’s site is good too:

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom