How many miles did you get before engine failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my '91 hdj 80 with a bit less than 300k kilometers,now I'm over 350k and still running better than the others 80 here around.
Emi.

Just hit 210,000 the other night, on what appears to be the original HG. Only some very minor oil leaks, and a wierd but very consistent ticking that has been there since I purchased it roughly 50k ago. Anyone else have a ticking noise?

Takes a licking, but keeps on ticking...

203k on my '97 Lx450 and runs like a champ. No problems at all other than a slow but chronic rear main seal leak. Consistent maintenance is the key in my opinion. I fully expect to make it to 300k or more (knock on wood). What works well for me is to set up a different "80 maintenance" account. I put in $320/month which is less than my former F-150 payments and when/if something needs attention I pay for it cash on the barrel head and no drama or screwed up cash flow. I will likely hold on to this rig for many years and will drop in a new Tundra V-8 engine if/when this inline six gives up the ghost.

I lost the coils at around 160000. To be fair 2 coils went bad, but I replaced all. At around 175k I replaced all plugs. Timing belt was done at 140k. Since she is at 190000, I guess only thing I have to do is check the CVs, alternator and starter motor.
2005 GX

HG replaced @ 172k...changed everything while in there...no oil leaks ever since. Just turned 200k.

Headgasket went @ 190k. Taken as an opportunity to patch her up and be worry-free for another 200...

I Currently have 3 Toyota's with over 200,000 Miles - Corolla, Lexus R330, and Land Cruiser.
Had one engine loose a cylinder on a 1986 Corolla. It still ran, but was real rough on 3 Cylinders.
The 1996 Cruiser is about 205K and original Head Gasket.

I did a top end rebuild at 253,000 as PM. Pretty much everything was well within spec and required very little work beyond a light grind on a couple of valves and just a smidge off the head to make sure it was flat. The valve guides and seals were replaced, but they were also within spec and the truck didn't use oil at all.

Probably didn't need to do it but I am pretty sure I am several hundred thousand miles away from having to do any major engine work. The truck has 268,000 on it now and it's tight and responsive and I still don't use any oil or have any leaks, although I did have a weep at the crankshaft seal and probably the oil pump seal, but those are both new now, so I should be golden.

These seem like pretty robust motors.

I did a top end rebuild at 253,000 as PM. Pretty much everything was well within spec and required very little work beyond a light grind on a couple of valves and just a smidge off the head to make sure it was flat. The valve guides and seals were replaced, but they were also within spec and the truck didn't use oil at all.

Probably didn't need to do it but I am pretty sure I am several hundred thousand miles away from having to do any major engine work. The truck has 268,000 on it now and it's tight and responsive and I still don't use any oil or have any leaks, although I did have a weep at the crankshaft seal and probably the oil pump seal, but those are both new now, so I should be golden.

These seem like pretty robust motors.
I don't think there's any doubt now two decades later whether or not these motors are robust. People can argue day and night about how robust, but I don't think if is up for debate. They are built like tanks, go forever and can take a beating pretty well too. Even with the less than ideal cooling system, I'd argue the 1fz is one of the best motors Toyota ever produced.

I am looking to see how long these rigs have gone without major engine repair...I.E. Head Gasket or Rebuild/Transplant.

I now have 267,000. miles on my 93 and still going. Knocking on wood :rolleyes:

Bought '96 with 148k (no major repairs from PO)
TRD S/C on at 160k - found hairline crack in radiator when going through coolant system - replaced at that time)
Current 246k and still strong w s/c

Plans - prob rebuild s/c when it's at 100k (coming up soon)
Will see on engine at the time whether doing any proactive 'repairs'

Owned since new in 97. First headgasket failure at 61k threw a rod out the side of the block. Toyota warrantied the motor. Second head gasket went at 270k but Bar’s let me drive it til headgasket took a dump at 298k. I’m now at 376k after two engines and two headgaskets. Now running Cometic and ARP studs.

I guess I'm paranoid because I got my rig 4 years ago with 170,790 miles (more or less) and I baby it. I changed all the fluids including flushing the radiator and replaced the oils with Amsoil (powertrain) and Royal Purple (differentials). I'm using the Amsoil AMO 10w40 with LiquiMoly Oil Saver and CeraTec (every 30,000 miles). I recently went to the extreme and added the Steel Seal to my coolant. It's a weekend warrior with about 190,000 miles. I am aware the HG will probably go out anywhere from 200 -250,000 miles. I average about 5,000 a year.

245k right now, HG leaked at around 200k and used Bar’s head gasket fix since then through Death Valley, Mojave, towning 5000lb trailer 400 miles(sucked) and multiple places in the Sierras and much more. The only reason I am thinking about replacing the HG is because I’m waiting for @NLXTACY ’s turbo. However I did use mobile 1/full synthetic the entire time I owned her, she runs much better now than the day I got her with 189k.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom