How Many Miles are Too Much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys,

New member here. Long time Jeep owner. :D

Anyway the family car has been a Grand Cherokee for the past 5+ years (trouble free lol) but with the addition of a 3rd child in the near future I have been thinking about something bigger.

I have heard how great the 100 series is, and have also heard it is a very durable SUV. So my question is how many miles are too much if I am looking to get a good 5+ years out of it? I have been checking out early 2000s Lx470s with around 90-100k miles on them. I'd like something a bit newer but I don't want to have to add much money on a trade in.

Do these badboy's run 200k like the SUV's of old? Or should I expect to pay some reasonable maintenance costs? Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys. :cool:

200k? Very low expectations on a Land Cruiser forum.

I'm over 160k on my 2000 and she's just getting broken in.

I bought my 100 series with 125K miles and considered that low miles. It makes a big difference if it was well maintained. At that mileage, you want to make sure the 90k service was done (Water pump/Timing belt)

Check out the thread on high mileage 100 series. There are engine rebuild threads on the older models, but don't recall seeing one on the 100 series as it is a better built engine.

Its safe to assume 300K miles if well maintained,

Do these badboy's run 200k like the SUV's of old? Or should I expect to pay some reasonable maintenance costs? Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.

These have been known to run over 500k IIRC. Depending on your budget you could either find one with stupid low miles and expect to do the 90k service or find one with the service already done that has slightly more miles on it. Either way if you take care of it then it should last you a minimum (bare minimum) of five years. And that's assuming you beat it to hell and back.

Long time Jeep owner. :D

That's where the confusion is coming from! :flipoff2:

What SUV "of old" routinely ran to 200k without problems???

What SUV "of old" routinely ran to 200k without problems???

Not necessarily SUV, but a lot of my coworkers have old Chevy pickups that ran 200k+ without many issues. I think a few of the SUVs had the same motor/trany combo.

That's where the confusion is coming from! ************

Ya. Consider me amazed and showing respect.

I've had Wranglers and Grand Cherokees all my life but who wudda thunk that something like what you guys are talking about is possible. Best part about it, til this day all my buddies will say Toyotas are junk.

I've had Wranglers and Grand Cherokees all my life but who wudda thunk that something like what you guys are talking about is possible. Best part about it, til this day all my buddies will say Toyotas are junk.

Take it easy, I was just playing.

I had a new Jeep GC once :) got tired of having to go to the dealership every couple of weeks before 8:00 to get in the service line for another warranty repair. It really got old and the line was always long and they did not ever have enough loaner cars. If you like doing this activity don't get a 100 series. Normal maintance and you should get several 100k miles out of the beast, I'm thinking 3-4. You will get tired of it before you will wear it out :)

You will get tired of it before you will wear it out :)

That is pretty accurate. My 2000 has about 180,000 miles, of which I accumulated about 2/3's. The truck is still running strong and solid. BUT- there is some rust around the front windshield and the rear hatch latch, and the exhaust manifolds tick rather loudly when cold. I don't have any leather tears, but the seats look worn, and the finish on the wheels is not great. So is it a good value? You bet. But is it modern and "new car" flashy? Not a chance.

I've had a Jeep GW and a Wrangler and without a doubt the 100 is far less headache and service. Off road those vehicles are very capable though.

The 100 series is a bit dependent on electronics but no more so than a similar vintage Jeep. Other than that they are built like the older Land Cruisers I own, rock solid. As long as you do the PM's 200K is easy, mines within spitting distance of that and I trust it to go into very remote areas on solo runs with just my wife and I.

1999 100 series-170k this weekend!

In a few months I plan on buying a 100 series and am looking at 150k+ miles on one to purchase thats how confident I am ..lol

As long as the maintenance was done and the rust is minimal or none its good to go

This sort of sentiment seems to be somewhat common among Jeep owners. I don't get it. I guess people just choose a camp and defend it to the death.

It's ok to admit another car might be better in certain aspects. Jeeps are plenty capable offroad, I'll give em that. However in comparison to reliability and on-road comfort it's nowhere near even. Each has their pro's and con's.

and the exhaust manifolds tick rather loudly when cold.

The ticking is generally a warped exhaust manifold. This is due to thin metal on exhaust manifold, needed to comply with U.S. emission control, this was to heat the catalytic converter more quickly. Toyota corrected this around 2003.
Toyota replaces free of charge, they did mine at around 20k on right befor i owned (records at toyota dealer) and the left at 60K miles after I purchased. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom