How many hoses have you been through? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the 7 years I've run my cruiser, I've been through two upper radiator hoses. Both of them blew out their sides- about 5 years apart. I'm starting to wonder what condition would find the upper rad hose as a weak spot. Any expert advice is appreciated, thank you.

What brand hose are you using?

V8?

Toyota F/2F?

?????

0 blown hoses in 23 years of cruisers driving.

Mine haven't blown out but I have ordered "new" ones from several different well known cruiser part places, only to have them start cracking a year or so later.

Thanx All!
I'm running a 2F. Haven't had any overheating issues at all to my knowledge, even the first hose that went, I wasn't running hot-by the gauge. I have seen my gauge show hot (in the middle area of the two lines, usually ON the lower line), so me thinks the dial works. It did not say I got hot this morn on the way to work. I noticed nothing strange when I got there. I found it like this when I went to hook up the bat after work. Popped the hood, and saw a 3" crack down the side of the hose- took a half gallon to top off after repair. I had ordered the hose set yesterday late afternoon at the local NAPA because I had the notion that I haven't done a rad service in a while and I should change the hoses too. Stupid luck. No boiling in the reserve tank- ever. Just blown hoses. Got new ones and a thermostat, still need to obtain gaskets, and take that spare rad to the corers. Just want to know if this is symptomatic of something else. Thanx again.(77 55 sreies Re-Smogged)

I replaced all of mine about 10-12 years ago. Reused the same ones when the engine was rebuilt approx. 4 years ago. Parts store radiator hoses and Goodyear Hi-Miler (blue) for all the heater lines. No cracks or leaks as of yet. (Knock wood.)

Hmmm...

Could plugged tubes in the rad's core cause enough pressure to blow upper hoses?

If you have access to a temp reader, check for cool spots on the core when eng at operating temp.

Will do. thanx.

You are probably using garbage hose.

Carquest sells Goodyear hoses which are nice and good quality, or they are available and pretty cheap from Toyota.

If you use the hose from Carquest, the upper hose needs to be trimmed a couple of inches as supplied.

For the heater hoses most are 5/8 size and the Gates Green Stripe hose is about the best available.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I just guess I expected a little more from NAPA. You really think that there is that much of a difference in a NAPA and a Carquest Hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom