How many cruisers have you hauled with your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
3 Here to start the thread.

1964 FJ45 LV - 1st wagon series
1969 FJ55 - 2nd wagon series
1982 FJ60 - 3rd wagon series up a serious pass 0-4000ft in 15 miles

Well, I've flat towed the 40 a couple of times-pretty easy to do. Trailered same 40 once-again easy.
Trailered Bronco with u-haul. Sagged the back end due to the way the trailer puts the front wheels of trailered vehicle so far forward. Pulled pretty well.

Uhaul trailers are very heavy from my experience... just towed a 60 serious over a mountain pass with a friends and it did much better. Class 3 hitch of course... does no one else use their 80 as a tow vehicle?

All towed with my '94 using my car hauler trailer (1700#)

1970 FJ55 - toppless, mortorless (towed this one a couple times)
1976 FJ55 - now owned by FJBen
1978 FJ55 - parts rig
1976 FJ40 - my former, mostly trail 40 (towed many times)

The trailer gets loaned out a lot and has towed several other cruisers.

Trailered the 40 more than a few times. Used a UHaul for most. The key for achieving weight distribution is to back it on. I made the mistake of not doing that once and I was very tongue heavy, and did not feel very comfortable driving it.

I did not haul a cruiser, but I used my new to me cruiser to get rid of the POS durango it replaced. Nothing like replacing a vehicle with something older :).
Cheers,
Sean

Last edited:
the durango interior is anything but impressive... your cruiser looks great!

Before in the pic, after in the avatar.
Cheers,
Sean

I've hauled my BJ60 and my FJ40 behind the 80. It isn't scary, but I do drive slow. Trailers with brakes are a must in my opinion. I wouldn't do it every weekend.

Here is a few pics, because a post without pics is useless!
MVC-848F.jpg

and the 60 series
MVC-1530F.jpg

I've towed my FJ 40 on a car trailer from Florida to the SC/NC mountains several times with my '97. Got really sluggish once we left flat florida and found some grades. No problems, but don't be in a hurry. Gas milage will be terrible........

Also towed a small 17' boat , much better as it was lighter and had a lot less wind resistance.

BTW, If your cruiser is topless it will tow better and give you a little better gas mileage if you drop the windshield on it while towing.

ah cruiser ken did you buy those two cruisers in SLC... was looking at those :)

nice looking setup!

No, actually the 55s were Owyhee Jackass's. He took the topless one to SLC. They came from Idaho. Nice paint job eh? The trailer at $1499 was some of the best money I've spent. Gotten a lot of use out of it. I was definitely glad to have it when I blew up my FJ40s tcase.

In last year Rubithon as we were leaving the staging area on the Tahoe side , there was a couple with a broken down CJ. They needed a tow to the main hwy because they could not find a tow truck to go into all the way to the staging area. She was really pissed at him for whatever reason.

I volunteered to give them a had and pretty soon we were slowly on our way.
The CJ had both rear axles broken. It was funny/scary to tow this thing. From the rear view mirror I could see the rear tires wiggling in and out. The road is downhill. And it made me think what would I have to do in case one of the axles came off.

Luckily nothing happened. We left them, on the side of Hwy 89. waiting for a real tow truck.

Regards

Alvaro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom