How many cranks before start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just as an asides........many many years ago I was working on a Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia, and on occasions it would start WITHOUT cranking. That is turn on the ignition and the engine would start without turning the key any further. I put it down to the stock 'Duraspark' electronic ignition system giving off a spark to a plug in a cylinder that was close to TDC, I guess I saw this happen on this particular car four or five times?

To this day I have never seen it again on any vehicle.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Mine does around 3-4 cranks when starting, it has LPG fitted as well and when warm & running on LPG almost starts like a diesel, 1 crank if that.
The system (when on LPG) as soon as you turn the key to 'on' squirts a bit of petrol in and then quickly goes to LPG on 'start'

Last edited:
Just as an asides........many many years ago I was working on a Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia, and on occasions it would start WITHOUT cranking. That is turn on the ignition and the engine would start without turning the key any further. I put it down to the stock 'Duraspark' electronic ignition system giving off a spark to a plug in a cylinder that was close to TDC, I guess I saw this happen on this particular car four or five times?

To this day I have never seen it again on any vehicle.

Regards

Dave
When I was in high school we could start my buddy's, sister's, oldsmosbile station wagon without a key, just by turning the ignition ring, which had tabs at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Almost seemed like it was meant to be...

When I was in high school we could start my buddy's, sister's, oldsmosbile station wagon without a key, just by turning the ignition ring, which had tabs at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Almost seemed like it was meant to be...
haha, my godfather used to have an old Valiant (Chrysler) that we could do the same by using the ring pull's from soft drink cans. anything that would fit in the key slot a few MM would work

There was a key that opened all Fords and the code was FT216, and my present OPEL van can be opened with a pair of scissors!

And to take this a little further, Mercedes with vacuum locks 'back then' could be opened with half a tennis ball put over the lock and pressed hard, the pressure reversed the vacuum and unlocked the door.

Regards

Dave

When I bought my LC it would start with 1 crank every time. The AFM had a temp sensor code so I swapped it out with a spare that I got the the truck. Now it takes 3-6 cranks each time. I swapped the old AFM back, and it went back to 1 crank. I think it has something to do with the circuit in the AFM that activates the fuel pump (OBD1). It bugs me, though.

Too many factors at play here. Temperature outside, how long the engine has been sitting without being ran, if its warmed up or not, condition of starter and batteries, etc.

Best answer will be: It depends.

Sometimes mine actually seems to crank longer when warm. Other times, there's kind of a slight stumble/buckle right before it fires up. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, that’s mine, as well. Newer short block with refurbed head about 5K miles ago. I suspect my fuel pump and sock filter are original- my next project.

When hot the amount of oxygen in the air is less combustible (or put another way there is less of it), a longer crank allows the engine to pull in cooler air, has anyone else noticed how much smoother their car is to drive at night, and how much quicker it is? Yes sensors/air mass/water jacket all go to tuning the mixture, but you cannot beat a cooler intake charge.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom