How many carry a spare front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Up until now I have been carrying a spare front axle on my solo trips but lately I've been thinking about ditching it. The extra weight it adds and the room it takes up just has me thinking I'm going overboard with my "be prepared for anything" practice.
A little info:
I have already replaced both front driveshafts (and drive flanges) with new Toyota units and installed the German smooth edge screw type hose clamps on all boots. Both axles have less then 30K miles on them.
I carry spare hose clamps for the boots, spare diff. seals for left and right sides of the diff, and all the tools and pullers needed to replace an axle in the field (although I would NOT want to ever have to do that).
The main reason I have been carrying the spare axle was in the rare case I tore up a boot some where out in the boonies and the axle eventually crapped out. I wouldn't expect a good axle to just self destruct without some advance warning so most of my concern has been some type of boot failure.
My latest thoughts are this:
Even if a front axle, CV or splines, blew in the field it could be removed, dissembled, and the inner cup reinserted to plug the hole in the diff. The rest of the axle could be discarded. To seal the hub, a round piece of metal or plastic could be cut from something on hand, an aluminum can for example, and RTV'd in place on the inside of the knuckle to completely seal the hub. Just as removing the drive drive flanges in a blown diff recovery, the truck would still be able to be effectively driven in rear wheel drive only indefinitely, even through water crossings without fear of contamination of wheel bearings or diff fluid.

Also, as far as destroying a CV joint goes, with all the front diff failures on 100 series it seems that the diff would most likely go before a drive shaft when being driven hard or accidentally abused.

So here is my big question:
Do you carry an extra front axle, and more importantly, HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO USE IT?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't carry an extra (all USA trips) so far, but some are offroad parks, so tipped toward the you might break something side of things.

My approach would be to remove a "broken CV" and drive/limp to a repair place or home. I have never tried this or researched it a lot, so I might be all wet. I did do the brakes all around and hit most of the process.

Last thoughts: As I think about this, if a boot tears, you notice it, you have grease and duck tape you could affect a repair multiple times with less effort.

I have carried an extra CV shaft on certain remote trips but have never needed it. Given a choice between carrying a spare CV shaft or a spare rear driveshaft, I'd definitely choose the rear driveshaft. W/o the rear driveshaft, I'd be in FWD, locked at best... perhaps a recipe for R&P destruction. W/o one front CV shaft, I can still be 3 wheel drive (w/ F&R lockers).

As for worrying about tearing CV boots, Toyota does offer split boots in Australia. I just bring along self-fusing silicone tape, aka Rescue Tape.

Toyota Genuine Parts: Split Boot Kits

Have you or anyone you know used them and do they work?

How do we get a set?

Edit:
Actually I think there was a thread on split boots. They were not made for the 100 series if I remember?

Last edited:
I've been carrying one the last few years and have used it once on another guys truck. We installed it because it was to be a multi day trip and we didn't want to turn around. It wasn't easy terrain so it was faster and more fun to just fix it and go.
For day trips or easy roads you can just isolate it like a broken diff and continue in 2wd.

Thanks for the feedback. I carry the repair tape as well. Never thought about using on a boot, though. I know some have mentioned using duct tape but I just can't imagine trying to wrap a roll of tape around and around a greasy boot and expecting it to stick for more than a hundred yards with articulation, turning, etc. I guess its worth a try if you have nothing else...
So, so far it looks like I'm not crazy leaving the spare at home. I was lugging around an extra alternator too until the reman unit gave out and I had to plug rebuilt OEM one back in. Never even considered a rear propeller shaft. How much does that thing way?

This is what I carry with me. It's one complete boot split down the side, and another one split down the side with the clamp areas removed. I figure some silicone and zip ties and it'll do the job to get you home.
WIN_20170812_105550.JPG
WIN_20170812_105621.JPG

@badlander The rear propeller shaft is ~ 20 lbs. CV shafts are ~30 lbs.

I have carried an extra CV shaft on certain remote trips but have never needed it. Given a choice between carrying a spare CV shaft or a spare rear driveshaft, I'd definitely choose the rear driveshaft. W/o the rear driveshaft, I'd be in FWD, locked at best... perhaps a recipe for R&P destruction. W/o one front CV shaft, I can still be 3 wheel drive (w/ F&R lockers).

As for worrying about tearing CV boots, Toyota does offer split boots in Australia. I just bring along self-fusing silicone tape, aka Rescue Tape.

Don't disagree with the logic, however how often do rear propeller shafts fail vs CVs on the 100?

Yeah true, and depends on terrain. Rocks/ledges kill driveshafts. CV shafts die on any terrain. Plus you can sometimes repair a driveshaft good enough to finish a trail. Once the CV joint is broken or it's splines damaged, it's pretty much done.

Since going to .134 wall tubing (4 yrs) on my driveshaft, I have not had any durability problems.

This is what I carry with me. It's one complete boot split down the side, and another one split down the side with the clamp areas removed. I figure some silicone and zip ties and it'll do the job to get you home.
jahawk and hoser, great info on the boots. Now I wished I'd kept my old boots from when I rebooted my first axle. The inner one was still good. I haven't rebooted the second axle yet and fortunately both of those are still good so I'll save them when I get around to it. This is actually a good reason to get it done. The new boot kit is just sitting on the shelf collecting dust!
hoser, That's interesting that the prop shaft is only 20 lbs.
I'll have to check the length and look at storage options. Under the rear in the tire space would be ideal but it's probably too long....

hoser, where did you keep your's stored while traveleing?

Wouldn't have to worry too much about protection from the elements either like the driveshafts require. I tried to fit a driveshaft up under there but they are just too big and bulky, not really practical. I was keeping it in the original box in one of my drawers along with my recovery gear but it took up so much room I could barely fit all of my recovery gear in there.
So some type of split boot kit, either jahawk's method or an OEM set, If I can find one, along with a spare prop shaft sounds like a much more practical alternative.
Thanks so much to all for the feedback and ideas.

The length of the propeller shaft is less than 4 ft. I just stored it on the 2nd row floor, fastened. For non-AHC 100's, a better place to store it is above your slider outriggers. Could maybe fit both a CV and prop shaft up there, if you get creative.

Since going to .134 wall tubing (4 yrs) on my driveshaft, I have not had any durability problems.

Did you have one built from scratch or just re-tube what you had? If the former, who did the job?

I had OE shaft re-tubed locally (@ South Bay Driveline). Cost was about $250 which is probably high (specially priced Bay Area pricing).

Quick question...the shafts are identical correct? You can use the axle on either side, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom