How many bolts are holding the transfer case to the transmission 1976 fj40 stock rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak between the transfer case and trans and would like to pull the transfer case without pulling the trans to investigate. I can only identify three bolts that go all the way through. Much appreciate any comments.

I have a leak between the transfer case and trans and would like to pull the transfer case without pulling the trans to investigate. I can only identify three bolts that go all the way through. Much appreciate any comments.
Search for Coolerman here on 'Mud. In his signature line, there's a link to his website. Scroll down to the transfer case rebuild.

5 total. 3 outside and 2 inside the PTO cover.

Also remove the tranny output / transfer input shaft cover, nut, and spacer.

Last edited:
Sometimes it can be really hard to separate a t case from the transmission.
True statement. Use a puller, do try to beat or pry the t-case off. Beating on either to separate them can mess up bearings and synchro rings in the transmission. A home made puller will work fine, and some examples are floating around here on 'mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom