How many 80ers here with a oem head gasket! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm at 242,000 right now still all original. Was my dads cruiser before it was mine, he bought it new and mainted it religiously. Still runs like a top...got an Amsoil filter set-up early in life, its a spendy oil change but cant complain about the performance.

Just replaced my fan clutch... Also, I was talking to Dan and I didn't realize how important the Fan shroud was. Mine was missing! My AC was just starting to fail when sitting in traffic. Replaced it and added a fan shroud. Everything seems to be good now. Btw, I have 163k for mileage.

Picked my FJ80 up at 162,000 miles and it's at 166,000 miles now.
I've replaced the whole radiator system and working on other items, but no head gasket yet... knock knock knock on wood!

91 207,000 still oem I run the red toyota stuff in the radiator maybe theres a difference runs great no leaks no overheat and ive been in baja in the summer time with no problems at all

121k miles on a 1995 w/original gasket. Purchased at 65K with toyota red since new. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my info is that the red is a "salt based" coolant, which toyota seals like better than the green "ethylene glycol" based coolant.) Recently flushed and filled it. Original water pump, original PHH still looks and feels good. Scangauge reads an average 186*. Fan shroud intact, and about to replace fan clutch silicone oil with 6000cst. I'm OCD about maintenance so, crouched and ready to spring at the first sign of HG trouble. So far, she runs like a top.:steer:

No radiator shroud? Mine is busted. I'm surprised you have no cooling issues. How long has it been off?

246k and pretty sure it's the original HG (93).

Truck was dealer maintained (though I don't have the records) up to about 230k but spent the last 16k in various hands who mostly used it as an offroad semi-beater. When I got it it had a brownish red mix of toyota red and green coolant in it. I tried to flush it all out, not perfect but it's mostly green now. I have a new PHH to put in as PM so will get a better flush and refil on it then. Probably just stick with the green.

So far so good. My truck isn't a daily driver though I am slowly trying to get everything up to date and spec.

185,000 still original head gasket, leaks a little around the valve cover, not enough to warrant replacement.

all is good...alot of pressure.
about to replace the orig. exhaust system.........

Pepe, my little mule still runs.....

I have an OEM headgasket but not the original.

190,000 still original

My opinion, it has less to do with it being red, green, Prestone... but more to do with using tap water instead of distilled. I use 3 gallons or so of distilled during the last part of the flush to try to get the tap water out of the motor.
Hmmm. My rig's PO said he had the cooling system flushed religously, even had the receipts. Here's what Prestone Long Life will do to your engine...

attachment.php

attachment.php

...1995 w/ 75k...obviously original HG. Will be installing new blue clutch though bc ya'll scared the crap of out me

175k pretty sure its original as nothing looks tampered with. Toyota red, unknown maintenance. Looking to add a pusher fan in the front to help out with alabamas hot humid summer.

Probably my second reply to this old thread but I'm now at 122K on the OEM gasket.
I'm glad to see all the posters with high miles on the original gasket.

I'm concerned about mine going when in the bush or many miles from home.

154,000 original HG, Toyota Red, 3rd owner dealer maintained 80!

145,500 still original AFAIK Although head is missing the fz-fe sticker
two cooling system flushes since I got it at 130
just getting ready to replace fan clutch oil with some 10,000wt. from the rc store (I'm cheap):hillbilly:

145,500 still original AFAIK Although head is missing the fz-fe sticker
two cooling system flushes since I got it at 130
just getting ready to replace fan clutch oil with some 10,000wt. from the rc store (I'm cheap):hillbilly:

Only cruisers to get the 1FZ-FE sticker on the valve cover from the factory was the 1993 model year. I'm betting you still have the original head gasket

Pete

Just turned over 200K on my 96 with original HG. Radiator, hoses, fan clutch and water pump was done at 130K, recently replaced hoses and waterpump again at 190K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom