How many 80ers here with a oem head gasket! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1996 LC, w/134,000.
Cooling system flushed, clean and green.
Blue clutch and new PPH.
Orig. HG!

97 LX @ 128k with OG Head Gasket

anyone know how much blue fan clutch runs? you don't have to crack open the coolant system to change do you? I flushed system with red last year and don't really want to do that yet, although it would be a good time to put in a new T-stat

anyone know how much blue fan clutch runs? you don't have to crack open the coolant system to change do you? I flushed system with red last year and don't really want to do that yet, although it would be a good time to put in a new T-stat

Ask CruiserDan, no cracking open coolant system, new T-Stat and Rad cap should have went with the flush last year.:p

'94 with 212k & orig. HG. Just did silicone PHH ('cause it was leaking) and replaced all other OEM HH and radiator hoses, back-flushed and new green Prestone. Opened block drain to evac system as much as possible before adding new coolant 50/50 mix. Probably should do fan clutch , but have had no cooling issues except when PHH started leaking :eek: and that is fixed now. Plus I need to let knuckles and other scrapes heal and give the neighbors ears rest after the infamous PHH replacement. :cheers: -Tom

Ask CruiserDan, no cracking open coolant system, new T-Stat and Rad cap should have went with the flush last year.:p

Yeah, I will ask Dan, but I figured someone else might know so that I dont have to bug him. I think I did do the radiator cap and I realized shortly after doing it that I should have changed the T-stat, but thats ok. I will probably wait a few months and do another flush with the tstat.

by the way, 198xxx and I am pretty sure I have the original HG. I was thinking about doing it as PM soon and found someone to do it for $500 labor, but maybe I will hold off. Runs fine now.

97 with 180,000. All original cooling system, except antifreeze.

97 LX 120k miles, original HG with Toyota red. Running strong so far:)

A little over 200k and original headgasket

165k-ish.. original afaik..

'97 - 206k
- new radiator and blue fan clutch.

Hey Brian, could list the bits that you changed out, and of those what you think contributed the most to running so cool?

I have a sc, new rad, new blue hub, and run at 91*C, or 196*F pulling a tent trailer or not.

Dan presides over the parts department at American Toyota. I cant say he works there because that somehow sounds derogatory to me. To me is more like Yoda: he is a conduit of the cruiser force and administers cruiser goodness to all those wise enough to listen. Here is a link:

http://www.americantoyota.com/

The direct number to the parts dept is: 1 800 650 5584.

Last edited:
going strong...

I'm around 110k mileage...original HG.

I just switched the truck back to Toyota red in the coolant system with a full dealer flush of the system. I plan to look into additional mods for the coolant system after winter, like maybe redoing the temp gauge so I can keep better track engine temp.

A blue fan clutch could be on the parts list, but new rotors/calipers/pads, suspension, tires, and stereo are higher on the list of priorities at the moment. I'll get around to it after that stuff.

The truck is so darn good I'll do smaller PM stuff, but nothing major till I know it needs to be done. Why spend money totally without reason, you know? There are others toys to buy and I'd rather spend my money on gas to go drive my FZJ in the desert than just work on it.

I am a big believer in just getting the truck baselined properly so I know things are in good shape and then monitoring for issues after that. As I've said before, these trucks are darned reliable...

110K .... Original ... no problems ... but having it changed as part of PM.

217,000 original HG um I think i mad replace it this winter as a pm

'94 with 183K miles. I have a recent (~1 year) rad & blue fan clutch - full flush 1x per year and run toy red. I bought the HG dvd about a year ago and am currently of the mind to carefully monitor HG & cooling system condition... I keep putting it off...now I tell myslef I will do it in Spring '09

Just passed 170K with original HG. It may not be long. Historically, this has been the longest lasting head gasket fire ring longevity of the fire ring in the factory Toyota head gasket. After that, the fire ring fails, and the head gasket must be replaced. Many FJ owners have run longer. I hope that I may be one of them.
I have a van and Tercel to work on. I hope the FJ holds on a bit longer.

214,756 all original and I just don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom