How long will original springs last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For some reason I don't have the privilege to post in the Suspension forum so hope to get some advice here.
I feel the car's suspension as been slightly soft, does anyone know how long does the front KYB shock usually last? I've had mine for about 8-9 years now. I just put on OME shocks on the back but used the original springs, is it time to replace the springs on a 2005 LC 100? The front also has the original springs on.

If the shocks are leaking, replace it. And Springs usually don't go bad.

I disagree to a point. I've had multiple Toyotas including my 100 benefit from new springs. They had sagged 3/4 of an inch in the rear from stock on the 100 and the T bars were turned to get back to stock (1/2 low)

Eventually I lifted it so, all new springs anyway at that time.

Just did my neighbors 98 4runner springs with new OEM and it releveled by 1 and a 1/4 inch in the rear, and on the front coilovers it went a full inch back to stock.

If the question is, do you need to do it? ...no. But I would recommend taking hub to wheel arch measurements and comparing against stock ride heights so at least you know what degree the vehicle is sagging.

I agree ^^^^

The heavier non AHC springs do last longer and less noticeable when they weaken, than those with AHC. But they all weaken with time, depending on use and load. In the front, torsion bars can be adjusted. For rear new spring give better ride.

Suspension and brake wear are similar in that it depends on how each owner uses their rig. Brakes can last 10's of thousands miles more on one rig versus another based on the style of driving. Think highway vs city. Suspension, well, if you're "Just a good ol' boy Never meanin' no harm", then your suspension will probably go quicker.

Since we’re talking about it, what is the stock ride height of, say, a 2004 land cruiser?

nevermind

Last edited:
I think the rear is a bit soft and I feel slight sag is probably the many years I had the ARB bumper installed.
My mechanic also seems not want to bother with adjusting the T bar. Is that something a reputable suspension shop would/can do or is that too small of a job they don't want to bother with?

T-bar adjusting is easy. It is also always needed on our aging fleet, if not previously done. Search mud and many helpful tips and write-up. Even if not doing yourself, "knowledge is power".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom