How long to remove the intake manifold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I may want to get access to the trough between the cylinder banks by removing the manifold in order to clean and inspect everything under it. How long would that take typically for the first time around for an average DIYer with decent tools?

Any specialty tools or parts (gaskets etc) needed?

And if a big job, anything worth doing while it's off? Starter contacts, sensors, etc?

TIA

If it's not broke, don't fix it. It's not a small job, I'd set the day aside if it's your first time.
That being said, if you are going to go through the trouble of digging in there I'd replace the starter, manifold gaskets (3) and the wiring connectors for the starter and knock sensors (2).

@e9999 I did this back in mid-November (2021) to address a minor coolant leak. I spread it out over 2 days and worked on it in my garage between conference calls and other work. All in all I think I had it pulled in <2hrs and back on in about the same amount of time. I did spend a while cleaning it and extra time making sure everything was done by the book to eliminate an issues at start up. It wasn't a huge job, but there are a lot of hoses, electrical connectors, fuel lines, etc...that need to be disconnected in order to full remove the intake plenum.

I only replaced the 2 intake plenum seals and the throttle body gasket, along with the leaking coolant o-ring. Had I not needed to get it repairs quickly I probably would have used the time to replace the starter while i was in there. However, after going through it once, I would wouldn't be troubled to have to do it again to replace the started.

I’ve done it a few times. Can be pulled in an hour if you know what you’re doing. First time, plan for 2-3 hrs to pull it.

25ED2A1E-AF0E-4E60-8420-7A34FB964A1B.jpeg
73EAD6E1-16A2-4AC2-89D6-ED78E2B0D5C4.jpeg

No special tools, take your time because there’s a couple of small plastic clips and components that can break if you force them out.

I’d recommend decarbonizing the ports too while at it, just get yourself the cheapest carb cleaner.
C85EBEDF-9B8D-4591-B1D1-A6F8CD78ADA8.jpeg

thanks all. Sounds good. I like to take my time so let's say 3 or 4 hrs the first time around then. So a full day to open up, clean, and put back together. Not too bad.

I don't think I'd replace the starter, though, that seems a bit much if it's only an hour or 2 to get back in there. But maybe the contacts?

How critical is it to replace those intake gaskets if there is nothing wrong with them?

@OEMGUY0720 Whats the Metric Orings for and the other bigger black gasket. Also how did u clean the intakes? You probably had to rotate the engine to get both the valves closed right?

To @e9999 getting the intake off as others have said isnt hard at all. But I also say if its not needed then why go in there. But when u do get in there I would take time to clean the parts and stuff. And if you are not replacing your starter...then at least replace the starter contracts/bushings (there are threads on this if you search it up to get you the starter contact part swap and videos online on what you need to do). Of course clean the intakes as well. And if you really want to be through on how you work was done properly.

BTW getting the starter out is a PITA which will add another 2-4 hours to your removal of the intake. Its that big of a PITA b/c of how the bolts are set.

FSM recommends that all gaskets are non-reusable components. Although there is no liquid to seal and make sure would not leak, the gaskets are inexpensive and compress overtime and eventually the shape distorts so I’d go ahead get that replaced imo.

The metric o-ring, oh pls discard that, no good. I used the oem toyota seals, 8pcs for the injectors. The big o-ring is for the throttle body (I have an 06). That carbon build up (tinier particles) will just go down the exhaust ports and eventually your exhaust plumbing (cat might get them until they vaporize because of heat). The bigger particles that can get caught at the bottom where you see the valves can be picked up by a vacuum cleaner. I saw a significant improvement on the idling after that procedure (I also decarbonized the intake manifold and used about 4 bottles of carb cleaner). Overall time spent: 4 hours give or take.

can you get to the starter contacts without completely removing the starter?

I didn't have any issue removing the starter itself. Some mild profanity and it came right out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom