How long to change timing cover gasket & seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Before I replace the radiator, how painful is the timing cover gasket and seal replacement on a F-series (3F)? How many :banana:s? I figure I might as well do it as I have perfect access to it right now...

If it is not leaking, I would not mess with it, but that is just me...

If it is leaking, are you sure that it is the front cover and not the gasket between the block and the engine end plate that the cover fastens too?

Be sure to look at this.

Not that big of a deal, just time consuming to get everything apart and back together. A puller will be a great help to remove the front pulley, a factory service manual will be great too, as there are specific locations for the bolts that hold the front cover on, and all of your tourque values are right there, with the step by step instructions.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser is right, if it is not leaking then leave it alone. If leaking, NAPA sells the gasket and seal kit. Make sure the plate is tight and not leaking, also checl the little freeze plug down there.. On a 3FE I would check/change the waterpump and all belts while down in there.

I agree with Dave 100%. Especially all those little hoses that are tucked into places that are impossible to get to, unless everything is removed.

-Steve

I can't say it's actually leaking, but it certainly isn't that clean, and there's slight oil splatter that's typical (or so it seems) of leakage. Now I havn't had the real opportunity to get the engine running on the road for any extended period of time as the swap is very recent (at least in my type of time-frame).

Shall I just leave as is and check once the 3FJ40's on the road?

How long has this been sitting and not running?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10711;start=msg96330#msg96330 date=1075307902]
How long has this been sitting and not running?
[/quote]

Swap was performed in June 2003, I've had her started in late Nov/early Dec.

If you do replace it, don't overtighten the bolts. I did on my 73 FJ40 20 years ago and made a leak at the base of the screw and didn't find out till later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom