How long does tranny to take to get to temp at idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Just did a tranny flush from the cooler lines. Everything went smoothly. Question as to how long does the tranny take to get to temp to check the fluid level? It’s rather cold outside, 39 degrees, car has been idling about 50 minutes, bottom of the pan is readying 78 degrees with and IR thermometer. Also have it in tranny temp mode based on jumping the wires on the obd scanner. I don’t have access to tech stream. I can’t get it to work for the life of me. Should it take an hour to get up to temp at idle? I know it’s cold out but i did this with my 4Runner a couple years back and I thought it took like 20 mins. Thanks

Per the FSM, you have to actually drive it for like 10 minutes to get the trans up to operating temp. At idle, you’re just running the fluid through the a/t cooler to keep the temp low!

First reading with IR gun with OAT 39F will greatly reduce reading. In my shop with a concert floor temp of~72F and OAT of ~82F. I'll read with IR gun ~2 -3F below that of tech stream readings.

In 98-03 normal driving for 10 minutes or more is acquitted, shifting through all gears.

In 04-07 the jumping of OBD port with wire, to get dash light indication, will not work. A TBS has has us reduce to lower temp, than jump/lights will indicate. TBS 97-115F (new)

You can get up to op temp without driving. But you'll need to put transmission under load. After engine reaches op temp. With foot on brake. Place in "D" than rise RPMs to around 1,500. Shift through all gears D, 4, 3, 2 & 1 than back again and again, pausing in each. Drop RPMs to idle before shifting to R or P, pause in R and raise RPM also. I find when doing this, temp goes to around 120- 125F in ~3 -5 minutes. Then let idle for ~2-3 minutes and it drop to ~100F.

Yup, that makes sense, got it up to temp, did the drain, seems good. Appreciate the info.

First reading with IR gun with OAT 39F will greatly reduce reading. In my shop with a concert floor temp of~72F and OAT of ~82F. I'll read with IR gun ~2 -3F below that of tech stream readings.

In 98-03 normal driving for 10 minutes or more is acquitted, shifting through all gears.

In 04-07 the jumping of OBD port with wire, to get dash light indication, will not work. A TBS has has us reduce to lower temp, than jump/lights will indicate. TBS 97-115F (new)

You can get up to op temp without driving. But you'll need to put transmission under load. After engine reaches op temp. With foot on brake. Place in "D" than rise RPMs to around 1,500. Shift through all gears D, 4, 3, 2 & 1 than back again and again, pausing in each. Drop RPMs to idle before shifting to R or P, pause in R and raise RPM also. I find when doing this, temp goes to around 120- 125F in ~3 -5 minutes. Then let idle for ~2-3 minutes and it drop to ~100F.

So I got tech stream to work. Where would I find the value for the trans temp? I’m playing around but not locating it? Appreciate the info!

So I got tech stream to work. Where would I find the value for the trans temp? I’m playing around but not locating it? Appreciate the info!

Scratch that I found it!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom