How long does Headlight Switch last (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how long the 40 switch will last. My headlights wont come on (but parking lights do).

Are there any aftermarket switches available?

Thanx

Does anyone know how long the 40 switch will last. My headlights wont come on (but parking lights do).

Are there any aftermarket switches available?

Thanx
Are the lights possibly grounded out somewhere? Possible break in wiring? Are the contacts to the lights still good? The switches last quite a while from what I know, unless they get several corroded. I would check the circuit with a multimeter.

It is posible to take most of the switchs apart and touch up the contacts however it sounds like a bad ground ( righthand side white with black stripe near the rad try that

The switch in my FJ45 is 44 years old and it works fine. Sometimes the contacts inside a switch do need touching up, but I agree, you have a ground issue until proven otherwise. Get yourself a test light and find it.

My switch got wonky at about 32 years old. SYmptoms roughly similar to yours. Pulled it apart, cleaned it up, reinstalled and it works fine.

The detents in there tend to wear and allow the switch to come to rest a little fore or aft of the ideal position. But electrically, the switch should outlive you.

35 years so far. Sometimes the headlights don't come on the first time I pull the switch. So I push it in and pull it out again, give it a little jiggle, that works, so far...
They seem to be very simple switches, take it out & clean it up a little...works for most electrical things on a 'Cruiser.

As previously posted try and clean the switch innards. A little cleaning goes a long way! If you're looking to keep it stock, you can try SOR. If it's a trail rig, go the cheaper route and get a marine SPDT switch. I picked up this one from West Marine. It gives me the standard 2 position pull but doesn't give me the dash dimmer function.

West Marine: M-531 3-Position Push-Pull Switch Product Display

Could be the headlight fuse (it's separate) dimmer switch or bad ground.

Check fuse first of course then run +12V directly to each light. If they light then got to be one of the two switches....

The switch in my FJ45 is 44 years old and it works fine. Sometimes the contacts inside a switch do need touching up, but I agree, you have a ground issue until proven otherwise. Get yourself a test light and find it.

But that is the rotary switch? Mucho heavier and better built.

can you check for voltage at the plug?

usually switches go out when bulbs have been upgraded without adding relays to address the increased draw...

If you are able to read voltage at the plug, adding some relays may be another option...

Last edited:
But that is the rotary switch? Mucho heavier and better built.

You raise a good point. Cheapass modern 70's s*** just ain't like the quality stuff they used to build.

I still think the logical thing to do is to trace the defect. It could be several places besides the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom