How long do front and/or back wheel bearings last (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How long does a normal front and/or back wheel bearing last on a 60-series.

I had one completely damaging my half shaft after a rough trip of several months...

That's a good question. I assumed they lasted for 100-200k miles but have no real knowledge.
When I bought my 62 which had 135k miles,mi replaced all the wheel and trunion bearings just to make sure.

Proper maintenance; Proper pre-load: A long, long time. Without it, prolly not so much.

That. ^

I've got a 60 with well over 300k miles on the original front wheel bearings. The semi float rears were replaced at about 230k when I noticed the axle shaft had some pitting. I had it out to change the lip seal.

Toyota does not even specify a replacement interval. They are inspect and use or inspect and replace.

Technically, if following Toyota's recommended service intervals, they should last the life of the vehicle.

Toyota does not even specify a replacement interval. They are inspect and use or inspect and replace.

Technically, if following Toyota's recommended service intervals, they should last the life of the vehicle.

Weird, for some reason (god know where I read it) I was under the impression they were an 80k mile service interval... of course I could be getting that confused with rover head gaskets... too many cars in my head!

30K for wheel bearings. About every 80-90K for trunion bearings.

The rear bearings are sealed. They are technically no service required.

The rear bearings are sealed. They are technically no service required.

On Semi-Float.

Those of us with FF rears have to service like the front. Same bearings, too. And FWIW, all the axle bearings spec'd, FF and SF, are HUGE ... That's why I loves some Toyota, me. (Sorry, I recently binged-watched all of Treme) :smokin::rimshot:

If properly maintained, correct bearing preload and grease then they last almost forever. However most of us don't bother so much with maintence if its running smooth and silent then we don't worry about it.
Run one loose with muddy water in it and it might be stuffed after a day or so...
I think in theory the full floater rears should last a lot longer than the semi float, but in practice I don't think that's usually the case as they require a little more maintenance which is usually ignored, so they end up crapping out sooner than the smaller sealed semi float bearings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom