How long between oil changes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the 12HT, toyota recomends 5000KM between oil changes, and down to 2500, if you're doing lots of off road or every 6 moonths if you don't drive much. 10000, or every year on the gearbox and Tcase. and every 30000km for the axles.

my 2H gets four changes a year with a new filter each time.Not because of the mileage but the start stop short runs.A long trip coming up will make one extre sometimes.Recently changed to 15w 50 pennzoil with 240Ks coming up and a really hot summer this year.Castrol rx super before.:cheers: Julia Creek , out west of here was 47 celcius yesterday. Cockatoo's are wearing hob nail boots so they can land on the tin roofs.LOL.:D :beer: :beer:

I run all my diesels with bypass oil filters and Amsoil Heavy duty synthetic. They get 10,000 miles between changes whit the standard oil filter changed every 3,000 miles.

Lately I haven't been able to reach or even approach 10,000 Kms., so I have to do my oil change by time, i.e., 6 months or so. I also change the filter.

Kalawang

I did mine at 6000km before I installed the turbo, now I do it every 5000kM with Shell Rotella or whatever the best diesel dyno oil I can find where I am! Sometimes on the highway (like driving though Mexico where diesel passenger vehicles are very uncommon) when travelling it goes more but then the next one will be a little less so the average is 5000kM.

I am NOT a fan of extended drain intervals since much of the stuff in diesel oil is soot and that's probably NOT a good thing to circulate in your engine.

When I tore down my engine that dropped a precombustion chamber and checked bearing clearances they were well within factory tolerances at ALL locations with nearly 300,000kM on the clock!

personally whether i use dino oil or semi sythetic i change every 5000 km or every 6 months which ever comes first (and usually 6 months comes along first)
i recommend 5000 km to my customers, your oil is the life blood of the engine.
an oil change is cheap insurance for longivity.
cheers

I'd say every 5000km, oil also degrades over time, so 6 months sounds good. On a seperate note, the detroit series 60 run about 35000km between changes, and some have gone 70000+.

I do winter and summer oil. Change in the spring and then in the fall.

I am not putting on lots of KM's tho. But between 5-10k is ok, dependant on your driving type. ie: lots of gravel. city. short hops............or if your a long haul driver, then you get the long duration on the oil. If you have a steady run of a half hour to one hour, then thats you.

I drive 4kms to work. SO not much time to hit temp. SO I think I get condensation.....

I thought 5 K is sometimes to much .. thnking in my off road use. When I go to heavy mud wheeling, we need to use my 2H at high rpm's in order to keep the wheels spining and momentum ..

So always I checking my diesel km/g and oil press are clear points that mean for me it's time to change my oil ..

BC Cruiser said:
I'd say every 5000km, oil also degrades over time, so 6 months sounds good. On a seperate note, the detroit series 60 run about 35000km between changes, and some have gone 70000+.

Yeah, but these guys are running all highway miles with not much stop and go. Besides, they have 35 litres (quarts) in the crank case or something crazy like that.

Its still alot of miles, though.

-Kevin

Tapage said:
I thought 5 K is sometimes to much .. thnking in my off road use. When I go to heavy mud wheeling, we need to use my 2H at high rpm's in order to keep the wheels spining and momentum ..

So always I checking my diesel km/g and oil press are clear points that mean for me it's time to change my oil ..

then I would change the oil and do a filter every other time.

Mine gets mainly highway use, change the oil every 5000 miles and filter at the same time. I have never personally changed oil without a filter even though it is recommended practice, I don't like putting clean oil through a dirty filter. Just my opinion though.

just did my winter change ( a little late ) :eek: , I put esso xd3 0w-40 in with a baldwin filter......the first thing I noticed is lower cold oil pressure and higher hot oil pressure....I lkes this alot !!! :bounce: :bounce:
Got the xd3 at wally world for $20.00 cdn per 4 litre jug.:)
I usually split the diff and go 6-8000 km between change.

Daryl

Weeelll, looks like I am the only one running his pump to the point of over fueling and advance,to squeeze a few more horses. LOL. Reckon the oil is carrying a fair bit of soot by this time also the oil gets pretty hot here especially in low 4 and also towing the boat at highway speed. I believe some of the crappy diesel we get at times cannot be real good for combustion as the power drop is often noticeable.I expect some of this would end up in the sump if it does not burn well. cheers

bigbrowndog said:
Weeelll, looks like I am the only one running his pump to the point of over fueling and advance,to squeeze a few more horses.

all that I know it's I havo more diesel that I can burn in my 2H engine .. :D so driving around the city, no matter what kind of traffic we have, no more than 450ºF in my EGT ..

But in the mud is other story spining strong my 37" with chains in 3rd gear .. I can go over 1200ºF easy .. If I not paying atention to my Pyro ..

Tapage said:
all that I know it's I havo more diesel that I can burn in my 2H engine .. :D so driving around the city, no matter what kind of traffic we have, no more than 450ºF in my EGT ..

But in the mud is other story spining strong my 37" with chains in 3rd gear .. I can go over 1200ºF easy .. If I not paying atention to my Pyro ..
Cheers , sounds like a good reason to keep the interval between oil changes short . cheers:D

oil change interval

I run an hour meter and in my normal driving 5000km works out to roughly 100hrs. Oil changes every 100hrs is treating a little diesel very well.
With a lot of highway , sometimes hit 6-6500km in 100hrs.

Steve

Little Joe said:
I run an hour meter and in my normal driving 5000km works out to roughly 100hrs. Oil changes every 100hrs is treating a little diesel very well.
With a lot of highway , sometimes hit 6-6500km in 100hrs.

Steve

Thats the best way to do it. Mines run an hour meter too. Cause if you are doing highway only it is a waste to change the oil early.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom