How is the choke light grounded ? '85 fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know how the choke cable light is grounded ?? '85 fj60. Tried Search & my FSM. But no help for my particular problem.

The choke & cable work fine, but the light does not light up. It's not the bulb & not a fuse.

I think it's a ground issue but I can't figure out how it's grounded. 2 wires going to the bulb...I think the grd wire is Red with Blue stripe. Both wires go into a loom behind the dash & it's very difficult to follow where they go. I would think somehow, the ground wire has to go back to the cable, but not sure ??

1) W/NO bulb in socket , key on, my grounded test light shows power to socket. Choke cable in/out makes no difference.
2) Put the bulb IN, & it won't light...if I ground the red w/blue stripe w/sharp end of test light...the bulb lights up, but very faintly.

So that is why I think it's a ground issue...but it also makes no difference pulled out or not. Everything remains the same, no matter if the choke cable is pulled out or not.

So, how is this thing grounded or is there something else I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help.

John

I thought it was grounded to the dash. Mike

Mike, Don't think so. The socket is plastic & the socket screws into a plastic base.

What I don't understand is 'How' it lights up by pulling the choke cable. That's why I was thinking the ground may somehow go over to the cable.

thanks, John

Im going to have to look. Mine have always worked. When you pull the cable are you getting power to the light ?

Im going to have to look. Mine have always worked. When you pull the cable are you getting power to the light ?

According to my test light I have power to the socket with cable pulled or not pulled. That's with no bulb in the socket, just probing w/test light.

When I put the bulb in ...no light...and then when I touch the ground wire w/test light (bulb in ), the bulb will light up Very faintly.

All of the above whether I pull the cable or not.

Thanks, John

I am replacing my cable assembly. Just got it from CruiserParts.net today. I tried to fix my old one. Not only wast eh cable seized up but the light didn't work. I pulled the side off my old one to take a look for you. It looks like the wire in and wire out are 12V pos. and it grounds back thru the ferrule/threaded attachment to the dash. When the switch is in all the way there is a shield on the pull out portion of the cable. Once it is pulled out past the shield it grounds and lights the bulb.

Just my assessment from analyzing the inside of my old cable assembly.

I am replacing my cable assembly. Just got it from CruiserParts.net today. I tried to fix my old one. Not only wast eh cable seized up but the light didn't work. I pulled the side off my old one to take a look for you. It looks like the wire in and wire out are 12V pos. and it grounds back thru the ferrule/threaded attachment to the dash. When the switch is in all the way there is a shield on the pull out portion of the cable. Once it is pulled out past the shield it grounds and lights the bulb.

Just my assessment from analyzing the inside of my old cable assembly.

Thanks Delta...Good info. I will check it out tomorrow.

So you are saying the light is grounded by the metal threaded part of the cable pull knob ?

Thanks, John

Yes that is correct. Checked it just a bit ago with a continuity test and it in fact completes the circuit between the blue/white wire and the threads when the choke knob is pulled out.

It leaves the question where the other wire ends up. Maybe it goes to the computer.

Yes that is correct. Checked it just a bit ago with a continuity test and it in fact completes the circuit between the blue/white wire and the threads when the choke knob is pulled out.

It leaves the question where the other wire ends up. Maybe it goes to the computer.

Ok Deltapine, I will be using this info later today. Thanks.

What I still don't have a grasp of is : What completes the circut to the orange bulb. There must be some wire going physically from the cable pull over to the bulb/socket.

I put this cable in several years ago, I don't remember any connections.

Thanks, John

To wrap this up in case someone else's choke light doesn't light up. If it doesn't light light up but your cable operates correctly you can probally save the cable & get the light working.

The circut from the bulb is completed w/electrial connection at the push/pull choke handle. Remove the handle from the dash & unhook the electrial connection in order to have room to work.

Remove the flat plate to have access to the inner workings of the push/pull slide. Very easy...Slit the plastic sheath, bend back the four tabs,,,just enough to get the plate off. Be certain to put the sheath back in place when finished.

Once inside you should be able to figure out what is your problem. Mine was a improperly re-bent copper tab...from the previous owner I assume. I did break this tab while trying to re-bend it...easy fix w/solder.

If you have to take it apart further be aware of TWO BB LIKE BEARINGS that are held in w/spring for tension. They are easy to put back in, just don't let them fly out when you take it apart.

Like I say, once inside you should find your problem. Don't be afraid to open/take off the plate for a look see inside. It's all pretty straight forward.

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom