How important is the plate between the manifolds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put my @&@&@&@&e back together today and found that the plate was cracked. Impatient and wanting to finally get it out of the garage, I simple bolted the manifolds back together w/ the 2 gaskets in there (new gaskets ofcourse) but chucked the cracked diverter plate thingy. Given the disign of it all, it seems the intake would heat up just the same w/out it. Did I make a dumb mistake or will this probable work out okay?

Well its not getting pulled apart unless someone scares me enough!

I don't know for sure, but you can buy a heat sheild that closes that up.
I'd like to know as well. I"ve got one ready to go in tonight.
tjg

mine had the slightest crack in the corner. I re-used it. I just did the job last week and am working out some other issues so I can't comment but I always go witht he thinking that they must have known what they were doing when they designed it. Keep us posted.

I'll let you guys know if it works. I know it was probably there for a reason but I can't imagine it getting any hotter w/out that little plate. I was worried about putting the cracked one in, didn't want a leak. It really seems like an inefficient way to set up an intake. Isn't cooler air better that hot as hell air......... Seems like some improvement could be made in this area....

The heat helps with mileage & emissions, but I doubt you'll miss it.

Actually that heat shield plate is what helps keep your intake manifold from cracking. You erally should have it in place. Doesn't matter if it is cracked or not, as long as it's there. You should also have two gaskets and this shield in there to have the proper thickness between the manifolds. Will it work the way you have it? Sure, and it will probably heat up the carb a little faster too, but you increase the probability of the intake manifold sustaining a crack.

I have the 2 gaskets in............ an intake crack,,, arghhhhh We'll see what happens. Its bolted onto the head now and that was a PITA so time will tell....
Hopefully it won't produce leaks at the mounting surface. The hardest part was getting that ERG tube back in there. I had to break out the hack saw!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom