How important are the c clips... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, a couple of months ago, I asked if anyone had measurements for the long birfs because I wanted to replace the factory flanges with hub locks. While my 43 is a 78, so many items had been changed out that I had no way to tell if they were actually the long birfs.

After getting a bunch of people telling me to just call the dude at cruiser tech, I did. He assured me that I had the long birfs and I ordered the warn hub locks. With all the other stuff I was ordering, I forgot to look for the shipping notification until they finally went out almost a month later🙄.

Tack onto that the time to forward ship them, and here I am in Riyadh today trying to put them on the truck when the shipping company will be here tomorrow to pick it up to take it back to the states.

Low and behold, the c clips won’t go back on because it looks like I have the short ones. I put them on anyway just to not have to pay to ship them back separately, but wanted to ask the crowd if any of you have run without the clips.

The truck won’t be a rock crawler, off road use will be as needed, and I keep a close eye on all my toys. With the design, I don’t see this being as important of a clip as say a for 8.8” rear axle clip, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this and how it worked for them.

Once it’s home, I’ll wait until I have new wheels on to make the final call, but I’ll probably be looking to trade out for a short set with someone. Right now my front wheels look about ready to mow down gladiators at the next games, and I’m not digging it.

D170A8FD-79E9-471E-B041-F604CFE1287A.jpeg
7E929FD0-E6FC-4D65-B401-BD2CA3132913.jpeg

IIRC: Are you not supposed to thread a bolt in the end of the birfield and pull it out? That should give you the clearance needed to use the c-clip.

IIRC: Are you not supposed to thread a bolt in the end of the birfield and pull it out? That should give you the clearance needed to use the c-clip.
I’ll check it out when it gets to the house, but didn’t see anything in the instruction manual, and the only videos I could find on it didn’t show anything like it. I also pulled the end out to max extension, measured from the flange face and then measured the body of the hub minus the inner oring lip, and it still seemed well short. But I’ll give the bolt thing a try

Some info on this thread post #12 .

The washer is the only way for short 79-84 birf and warn hubs , aisin lock will use the snap ring and is a better locking hubs

Some info on this thread post #12 .

The washer is the only way for short 79-84 birf and warn hubs , aisin lock will use the snap ring and is a better locking hubs

Jim, thank you. That is a good find. With the shippers coming in a few hours, I’m not going to risk dismantling it right now, but when it arrives at home, I’ll see what I can do with it. I’m surprised this isn’t still included with the instructions for the long bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom