How I'm sleepin in the 40, and some wheelin PICS! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey folks,
just wanted to share my bushcraft wooden deck, burrito, tarp sleeping arrangements...

took an afternoon to put together with some cheap 2x4's and some hinges and hooks. the idea is to sleep on top, make the setup relatively quick and simple, and can also be used for storage.

pics are pretty much self explanatory.

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

i don't have a hard top so i used the green tarp to cover the rig over the winter time. it just works out that the loops with bungees just latch on naturally to the 40 and just covers the right amount of area. i looked inside and saw the potential living space and that's what got me thinking, i can sleep in there! lol.

the back half hinges up so i can get at my amo boxes and access the spare tire easier...the front piece of 2x4 also hinges up just to give me room to unlatch my bikini top attachment. i was able to slide in a 20L water can on the left and my fuel on the right. it works. a little tricky tryin to get in with the doors but i managed to wiggle myself in. w/o doors it's much easier.. very mild draft and i survived freezing temps at night. a breathable bivey sack will work better for bugs and moisture compared to the orange emerg blanket.

and now some wheelin shots just for kicks!

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

Trailer4X4Kyle013.jpg

Trailer4X4Kyle031.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture036.jpg

cold water sucks!
Picture027.jpg

Picture056.jpg

i just love this 40! almost drowned the sucker on that deep hole! just when i thought the engine had finally quit, i put it in reverse as my nose went really deep to the left....the sucker just came back to life and backed me right out!!

Last edited:
Beautiful wheeling country, beautiful Toyotas, beautiful weather (at least for me). Awsome my friend.

thanks fellas. yep, got the hammock as back up with a tarp over (and i still brought a 2 person tent, just in case!)

yeah, our crew can't wait to get back. the area is about 3 hours north of toronto,ontario if anyone wants to head up for a visit! :)

it's about a 30Km trail that took us 12 hours from start to finish, last year with even more snow, it took us 14 long hours!

more pics..
Picture056.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

oh yeah, i plann on takin the deck appart and painting it with black exterior paint just so it lasts longer.

that bezel stays the way it is to train newbie bezel police and keep em on their toes, lol.

front view of the 40 in submarine mode..
IMGP4425.jpg

IMGP4426.jpg

IMGP4427.jpg

IMGP4428.jpg

that's when my buddies said the back end lifted up cuz of the tires wanting to float, lol.

water got as high as the gauges, hope my tac starts working again! lol.
Picture028.jpg

IMGP4430.jpg

at the start of the pond, i had my camera in one hand thinking i'd be able to shoot vid while i go through, decided i needed both hands on the wheel, and put my camera in my pocket/with my cell...both were soaked! thank god they dried out and
working again.

oh yeah, those tractor tires on the PZJ70 work beautifully! i waaant!

nicely done.....very nicely done!!!

Looks like an awesome trail!! Gotta love the powerlines....seems like no matter where we go in this world - someone has been there before - unless you're driving a LandCruiser- cause that's all that could get you that far!

Best of luck!

Hi All:

Dude, you are hard core! :beer:

Thanks for posting the pics and videos. Looks like you guys had fun!

Love that red 70 Series open-top!

Regards,

Alan

sweet fun indeed! those were 36" tractor tires on the red 70, it was trailered in. very rare right hand drive/JDM 5 cylinder diesel, with factory electric lockers fr/rr, 5spd!

we're just glad we've got powerlines not too too far to wheel in, the canadian shield is just awesome terrain, dotted by dozens of lakes and just beautiful all around.

i'll be sure to post pics of our next wheelin run! :beer:

Looks like a pair of waders might have come in handy! Great pics. MIke

snorkel time

Two things:
1. As a die-hard minimalist backpacker, I have to say, your sleeping arrangement is awesome! The tarp really made me think of all the improvised shelters one can rig up with whatever's on hand in a rain storm. Keep it up!
I had a similar idea where you string up a hammock from the Front passenger's side pillar of a roll cage to the rear driver's side pillar, kick the seats all the way back, and throw in a sleeping bag.

2. That's a great looking rig, my compliments.

ha ha, thanks combat chuck! we're on the same page dude! that's a great idea, it might just work if the hammocks at the right length and wont sag and have my bum hit the seats.

i heard of another fella with a smilar deck idea, but it was longer and folded straight to the back giving enough area to pitch a small tent, but it would need good supports underneath so it won't buckle and drop your arse half on the ground.

anyway, if the green tarp wears out, i just grab another one, or an even bigger one and this time i could use long tarp poles that i can hold up on a couple sides and have it more open for better air circulation in warmer weather...use a waterproof/netted bivvy sack to keep the bugs out and voila. i did bring tarp poles to raise the side flaps away from the doors but i skipped it cuz it was below freezing at night and i didn't need the extra cold coming in. (note to self: that orange emergency blanket that reflects 90% of body heat back, worked okay, but it didnt breathe and held a lot of moisture in, A LOT! bivvy sack for sure next time)

Brrrr ....:steer:

and I though just wheelen when it was that cold was hardcore not only do you do it with out a hard top n doors you play a Uboat :cheers:

The title and the first few pics made me think this was a thread about a homeless cruiser owner. Then I realized that it was your camping set up. Cool pics!

Awsome set up and pics! That 70's front end would pull better with those tires if he would flip flop them, the tread pattern is backasswards as it sits....awsome rig none-the-less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom