How high a floor jack to get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
saw this floor jack at Costco. Arcan manufacture model LC35 or LL35, forgot.
3 1/2 ton, dual pump, low profile, wide stance.
It goes from 4" to 21" (takes 10 strokes while empty to go full range)
Is that high enough to some serious work on a TLC?
If not, how high a one should one buy?
(was $70, seemed like a good deal. Is it?)
Anything else to look for in a jack?
thanks
Eric

What floor jack to get?

Mine I bought from Sams back before we had a Costco. Made by Allied, 3 1/2 ton, and two features that I like. One is what it calls a 4x4 mount, which is just an additional plate that sticks up 4 inches higher...nice at times, but not really necessary. The other is a foot pedal that lifts the head with one push almost all the way to the frame...so you don't have to pump it a hundres times. $50

I just bought a serrvice jack last month and noted a few things as I was shopping around.

One thing that turned me off of a lot of jacks was the quality of the valve control. Make sure that the "action" is smooth when turning the control to open the value and let the jack down. It's important to be able to do this smoothly (in order to let it down smoothly on the jack stands). A large number of cheap made in China jacks had a flawed control mechnism and thus you couldn't let the jack down in a controled fashion. :doh:

The best jacks I saw were STC and made in the good old USA. After searching the web I found really good prices on these but given I live in Canada I could find one up here. The only problem with them is the lack of the quick lift feature.

I haven't seen the Costco model mentioned.

Riley

I got the 3 ton Allied model at Costco back in '96, and it's served me well. I saw the 3.5 ton one at Costco that you're talking about. I think it would be a good purchase. Get some stands at Harbor Freight.

There is a two and a half ton long frame floor jack sold by Harbor Freight for $129.00 that has a 31 5/8" lift height..... 42820-4VGA. If you are planning on big tires and a lift, then this might be the ticket.

I picked up 2 9000# clear floor 2 post lifts That raise 72" for under $3000, but they dont fit too well in a standard garage :D
It now takes longer to pull out the tools then it does to change tires from one truck to the other ;)
I got the 3 ton Allied model at Costco back in '96, and it's served me well. I saw the 3.5 ton one at Costco that you're talking about. I think it would be a good purchase. Get some stands at Harbor Freight.

I do use one of these and it works very well for what I paid but I also got 6 pairs of wide base some jack stands (way over rated like 6 ton ,but they were not too pricey only like $20 a pair) It makes it much safer and keeps the truck very stable if you need to get in it or have someone helping with brake work like pumping them when bleeding the system etc. and dont need it falling off them :whoops:

:cheers:

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=6746;start=msg55321#msg55321 date=1067192155]
saw this floor jack at Costco. Arcan manufacture model LC35 or LL35, forgot.
3 1/2 ton, dual pump, low profile, wide stance.
It goes from 4" to 21" (takes 10 strokes while empty to go full range)
Is that high enough to some serious work on a TLC?
If not, how high a one should one buy?
(was $70, seemed like a good deal. Is it?)
Anything else to look for in a jack?
thanks
Eric

[/quote]

Eric, I have a pair(the older one is Lorcin I think, but they are the same) of those floor jacks(Costco), one is 5+years old the other is 2 years old, they are a great jack and I have had no problems with them. I use them on for working on all my Cruisers(3 have 35"+ tires and the 80 is 7000+lbs)

John H

[quote author=9999usmc link=board=2;threadid=6746;start=msg55612#msg55612 date=1067253709]
There is a two and a half ton long frame floor jack sold by Harbor Freight for $129.00 that has a 31 5/8" lift height..... 42820-4VGA

I like the specs on that jack but I would be careful buying "safety" related devices from Harbor Freight. Their quality isn't the best and when it comes to your safety, don't compromise ;).

Ali[/quote]

so folks, how much lift does one need minimum to work well on Cruisers?
(say to be able to stick stands under the frame and have the wheels not touch the ground, or any other such endeavour...)
E

Eric,
There's always chunks of wood and things you can use to boost the floor jack's starting point. I would get something with 20+ inches.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom