How hard to replace the left front parking sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like something hit my sensor (has a sizable paint chip on its face but it is not dented) and I'm also getting a warning of service required, and the parking alarm is beeping in the cabine.

Didn't get a chance to hook up Techstream to see if there is a code.
Is there a calibration to be done to accommodate for differences in paint thickness? Maybe that's my problem and I just need to repaint the sensor and recalibrate?
Did anyone tried to repaint the sensors?
If I need to replace it how hard is it?

Looks like the sensor is 8934133190B6 (B6 is for silver paint code 1F2). It costs a pretty penny at $212 !!!
Partsouq doesn't have my color.

I can find the OEM sensors at more reasonable or even cheap price but not exact color.
There is also B7 for paint mercury gray code 1H9. Is that much different than my 1F2? Looks darker than mine.
There is a B0 for paint code 1F7 but not for US. It looks silver to.
Other codes I found are 1J4 and 217.

Thanks for any insight.

One of my left sensor is not working as well, when I turn on the parking assist that one corner has an x over it, I’m assuming it’s gone bad. Let me know what you find out, as far as replacing I think we can reach it from underneath after you take the plastic cover off.

@doru I haven't replaced a Toyota parking sensor, but have replaced a Denso unit on another car. I would wait for your color to come back in stock as I don't know if you'd be able to paint whatever you got and have the sensor still function as designed. The other car involved taking off the bumper and removing the bad sensor from the back, swapping the new one in and replacing a small round plastic piece to get it to fit appropriately. Not a big project, but time consuming for sure. I would wait for your color to come into stock before attempting, but that's just me.

In general the Car Care Nut has some useful insights I believe. Watch attached please, you may learn something. Whether his advice is true for every non Toyota/Lexus OEM sensor out there I obviuously do not know. My general approach though is to buy OEM parts when I put the time in to wrench myself. There is no right or wrong way ofcourse, just shades of grey and maybe how much money it is worth to you and or the budget you can work with. Good luck!

Last edited:
So ... without me doing anything, the sensor works again. I'm not upset that it does, but that only means it will stop working again sometime in the future.
Given that my color is not available at discount price now, I'll just play the waiting game.

Maybe I have a wires problem, maybe some poor contact or water in the connector, that just happened at the same time I noticed the paint chip. With the past week heat wave, it might went away.

I painted sensors before in two cars (all sensors, not only one). But those were aftermarket sensors that came unpainted. Those were for aftermarket complete system that I installed in older cars. It worked just fine. But I do not know how Lexus sensors are and now that it is working again, I'm not going to fix the paint to find out.

Some clarification for my problem ... unlike @FxFormat I did not have an X on the sensor location. It was only that the sensor was reporting intermitent but often and anoying phantom close objects by sounding the alarm with the associated display. So my problem was a signal problem not a dead sensor.
BTW the service required might have been just the maintenance reminder.

Update ... the sensors can be painted. After removal from the truck, I cleaned the remaining paint from mine and applied 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.

Update ... the sensors can be painted. After removal from the truck, I cleaned the remaining paint from mine and applied 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear.
So, how hard was it to remove and reinstall?

Not hard if you know how. Space and visibility is limited.
Quick... Remove skid, plastic cover around towing loop, release wheel liner at the bottom, unclip harness holder from sensor, unclip sensor from the sensor holder, pull out sensor, unclip connector.
The knowhow needed is for uncliping harness holder and sensor from bumper holder.
Maybe I post some pics later.

I love this forum. I find solution or discussion on the same problems I get into.
My kid pushed the sensor in with his finger and now it seems to be hanging inside my bumper. Will try replacing it. thanks again for posting this video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom