How hard it it to.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4xcolombia.com
Install a complete OME lift kit on my FJ 70 and my friends FJ73?!?! We bought the complete kits including everything, springs, shocks, bushings, pins, shackles, u-bolts and anti inversion kits (which i haven't quite figured out what they are). I think thats the complete kit... anyway, how hard is it, we have access to an elevator and most likely all the tools necessary. I just wanted to ask all you do it yourselfers how hard it is, how long it could take, and what tools would i need to have?!

I CANT WAIT!!!! :bounce:

It's not that difficult. biggest help is a bfh and a torch to burn things off the old bolts and bushings.

Have fun

impact gun helps too..

but best to cut the u-bolts off.

Great to hear the comments, now i dont feel that crazy for thinking about doing it myself...

keep the tips coming!

okay, now why would you need a whee alignment?
it is a solid front axle that is being driven sraight down, you are not adjusting or changing tie rod ends, toe in/ toe out is still the same..
hummm, MAYBE you might need caster shims...

help me understand this one...

Great to hear the comments, now i dont feel that crazy for thinking about doing it myself...

keep the tips coming!

Grab some :beer: for friends sure :D

Wheel alignment because it's probably been ages since his last one and suspension installations are a good excuse to get one. It's part and parcel of the job down here in Australia, ALL suspension work comes with wheel alignments.

Well... you are right, it HAS been ages since i got my last alignment... not a bad excuse... also i think im getting new tires with the new suspension, bus i want to wait to see if i have to go any bigger with the new lift kit. I dont want my rig to look like a toy with gimp tires!

Thanks guys

Only takes about 4 hours all told.

Remember to get a wheel alignment :)

In a shop with help sure,

by myself on my BJ60 all fused pins, about 12 hrs or more. 4 hrs is a perfect situ.

also i think im getting new tires with the new suspension, bus i want to wait to see if i have to go any bigger with the new lift kit. I dont want my rig to look like a toy with gimp tires!

HaHaHa I got that truck. Put in the OME with 1.5" extended shackles all around. running about 31's looks terrible. 35's would rock but can't afford new gears yet.
Install is easy just need some patiece and strong arms some bolts can be a pain. Have to cut the rear shackle bolts as the gas tank in s-installed after the suspension, go figure. ( 74 series anyway) Roll up those sleeves and get dirty, have fun, good luck!!!:cheers:

also i think im getting new tires with the new suspension, bus i want to wait to see if i have to go any bigger with the new lift kit. I dont want my rig to look like a toy with gimp tires!

HaHaHa I got that truck. Put in the OME with 1.5" extended shackles all around. running about 31's looks terrible. 35's would rock but can't afford new gears yet.
Install is easy just need some patiece and strong arms some bolts can be a pain. Have to cut the rear shackle bolts as the gas tank in s-installed after the suspension, go figure. ( 74 series anyway) Roll up those sleeves and get dirty, have fun, good luck!!!:cheers:

Yeah, i had a friend lift an 80 with 31's... doesnt really look that great. I have the dillema of weather or not to go bigger... my clunky 3F engine isnt really a rocket... and ive heard if i go to 33's it will probably slow down quite a bit.

Anyway, on the subject of the OME lift install... ive been having all the problems in the world getting the darn thing imported and it ended up costing an arm and a leg.... but, not much else i could do! :doh: I sould get it by weds, and have a friends shop lined up with pneumatic guns and elevators ready to do the trick! Hope it wont take longer than 4 hours considering its going to be 3 people with all the right tools.... reason being, we have to lift 2 70's next saturday!! I CANT WAIT TO GET THAT INSTALLED...my suspension rite now is horrible... all my shocks are shot, and i even had to remove the front right bc it became loose from the top! (allready got the mount fixed up)

PD. along with the lift... i got a snorkel... how hard is THAT?!

thanks

Do you guys know any websites in the US that sell stuff for the FZJ71? I'm looking for a complete OME kit and a snorkel (FZJ71 has coils up front and leafsprings in the rear, it's the short wheelbase model).

Do you guys know any websites in the US that sell stuff for the FZJ71? I'm looking for a complete OME kit and a snorkel (FZJ71 has coils up front and leafsprings in the rear, it's the short wheelbase model).

I searched around for ARB dealers in the miami area because i had to ship it to Colombia... but if you go to the ARB website you'll find th dealers. All the certified ARB dealers can get you 70 series specific stuff, they just have to order the international catalog. I used www.geo4wdparts.com, but i ran into quite a bit of people that were willing to get the stuff for the sale...

Back to the snorkel install, how hard is that!? i want a perfect install for the snorkel and the suspension so any tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

Did It!!!

I hope those images show up... they are not the best, but the only ones i could take on a pretty hectic day!... anyway on with the write up!

The snorkel install was pretty easy even though the person that shipped the snorkel to Colombia forgot the template... we did one ourselves. Total install time 2.5 hrs. Any tips on how to make the rest of the car waterproof?! DIST CAP, ugh... dont know what else needs to be water tight.

The OME install was a bit longer, but still not complicated. Impact guns were used and it was 3 people working on one car... we did my FJ 70 and my friend FJ73 next... total time was about 8 hours including lunch break.... clearly my friends car we did in around 3 hours after figuring out what we were doing!

The results... TALK ABOUT LIFT!! i didn't think my car was stalk height... but apparently it was even lower! the lift added 10cms front and back!!! its a monster now... i like the look but the 32 inch tires i think need to be upgraded.... what do you think? 33x12.5 r15 BFG MT?

The ride... considering my car is a 70 its bound to be bumpy... when going fast the ride is awesome, and at all speeds a definite upgrade over stock. I'm just wondering if i should have gone with one less leaf on all corners... anyone out there with a 70 with OME and mediums or stiff? what reference EXACTLY did you buy and how is your ride!?

Thanks for all the help, all the tips were extremely useful!!
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
DSCF2364.JPG
DSCF2365.JPG

looks good Mang!

I would drive it for a while and let the suspension settle in. It'll probably drop just a bit more. The ride becomes MUCH better after a few thoushand km's. I remember when mine was real bumpy just after install. Now it's a really nice ride. Your shackles are vertical they will drop to have a little angle.

Nice cruiser! I'm fond of that color myself ;)

a lot of the times i remove one leaf and being it is a rag top i would remove on in the rear for sure. those are light units. store the spring and replace if needed down the road.
removing a leaf is a 1/2 hr job for the rear...

crushers, i was definitely thinking about that... ride wasnt exactly what i expected it since it was pretty stiff... back mostly. Is the leaf removal reversible? what are the cons to removing the leafs in the back??

crushers, i was definitely thinking about that... ride wasnt exactly what i expected it since it was pretty stiff... back mostly. Is the leaf removal reversible? what are the cons to removing the leafs in the back??

Mi best advice for you it's ride it .. use for a month or so ( if is your DD ) and then remove the load leaf in the rear spring pack.

Yes it's complete reversible ..

33X12.5 or 34" 9.5 are your options ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom