How hard is it to swap a clutch on 3B? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tranny T Case removal

I also find the top bell housing bolts are more accessible if you leave them to the end, place and secure your jack and lift the transmission enough to remove the rear cross member. At that point you can tilt the whole engine tranny and T case to allow easier access to the upper bolts. I also like to have doubled 2x4 across the inside of the front springs to allow the back corner of the oil pan (around the drain plug area) to take some of the stress off of the engine mounts when the engine is lowered to slip the tranny out. I have done this several times with no adverse effects on the pan. This can also save your fan and fan shroud from potential damage.

Last edited:
I think for peace of mind I'll get it done by the mechanic.

Thanks fo rall the suggestions though, its greatly appreciated.

You can remove the fan clutch and / or remove the radiator shroud. This can help to move the engine a little ... read, give a angle, to help removing or put back the tranny in place.

I wonder if it would be possible to fabricate a metal support structure to rest over the transmission hole opening to raise and lower the transmission? wouldnt that be cool :) use a portable come along to raise or lower the transmission without any support from bellow.

In my case, I have a 1.5 ton transmission jack with tilt and pitch knobs built in. works like a charm for transmissions and fuel tank drops. Just need to fab up a nylon tie strap holder onto. Cheap chain hold downs just are not good enough in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom