How good are NAPA reman's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a Shucks reman alternator, and am on the third one...it's crap. Regulator keeps going nuts. Lifetime warrenty is nice, unless you have to keep replacing it...

So how do you all feel about NAPA? The price is a little higher, but I really don't mind. They also offer reman power steering pumps, and steering boxes, both of which I really need to replace. My experience with NAPA has been really good, but thought I'd ask for any others experience.

Thanks!

is it for the 87 or 94?

last I checked the Toyota re-man alt for a fj60 was under $100.....and IMOP Toyota re-mans are as good as they get. No personal experence with NAPA re-mans

Ditto on the Toy 2F alt reman. Works great for a good price.

I have had great luck with NAPA remans. Always ask if there is a "better" reman avail for the same part. They can have 2 tiers of remans on some parts.

If the NAPA price is within 20% of the OEM reman price I would go OEM.

Advantage of NAPA is that you can usually get the part fast and it is easy to exchange if it goes bad

Talking to local mechanics...whenever they ask 'where'd you get the part' and i tell them NAPA...the response is typically "good". I'd never buy from Autozone, ...

I just replaced my sister's alternator in her 62 with a NAPA one she bought. It made it from Montana to California then took a major crap in Hood River Oregon. Maybe just a bad one but that doesn't impress me. On the other hand I replaced mine in my 62 with a Toyota Reman. from CCOT for $45 more and no problems.

Thanks to all for the good advice. Napa reman alt is ~$100, and the one from Mr T is ~$125. Easy call...Mr T for me!

Toyota does not have reman'd powersteering pumps or steering boxes though. Napa has the former for about $125, and Landpimp mentioned a Seattle co that does steering gear boxes. Now I just need to convince the wife that better steering is "needed" as opposed to meerly "wanted."

GUARANTEED FOR LIFE! So you would think a reman with the lifetime guarantee would be some what dependable, right? Most of these are rebuilt really fast and they know it is all about price, so no biggy if you have to bring back two or three before you get a good one, a lot of these remanufacturers sacrifice quality for quantity. If you hook up with a good starter/alternator shop they can diagnose what exactly is wrong and may also be able to tell you if you have something else going on.
Besides, if you don't have time to fix it right the first time you won't have time to fix it right the second time.

You said the regulator keeps going nuts. So is the alternator the problem or the regulator. I have used parts house regulators in the past but just looking at the construction, I switch to Toyota as soon has he could get it in. Do the remans come with regulators or are you just reusing the same one? I know the Toyota alternator I got didn't come with the regulator.

You said the regulator keeps going nuts. So is the alternator the problem or the regulator. I have used parts house regulators in the past but just looking at the construction, I switch to Toyota as soon has he could get it in. Do the remans come with regulators or are you just reusing the same one? I know the Toyota alternator I got didn't come with the regulator.

I guess that depends on the year, but all the FJ60 ones in the usa are internally regulated.

Just for the record, I've had good luck with the Napa rebuild in my FJ40-still chugging after 7 years. In the future, though, I'd get a Toyota reman.

Some NAPA parts have a towing guarantee besides one on the part. They even compensate professional shops for time to replace guaranteed part that fails. The AutoZone, etc. "guarantees" to professional shops are a joke. A friend with a domestic repair shop won't use anything else even though he'd make more money with cheapo parts store stuff because it's less expensive & it'll break sooner.

I'll buy name brand consumables (oil, antifreeze, etc.) from the big discount chains, but go straight for the dealer, big OEM distributors, quality aftermarket manufacturers, & NAPA for hard parts. My time is my most precious asset.

i've had no probs with the napa remans, but if you go to rock auto, youcan get name brand remans for the same price or less. i've gotten a bosch reman alt and starter from them..no probs what so ever
cheers

I used a Napa reman smog pump and it crapped out not very much later............exchanged it but I was down for 2 days.............

don't gotta worry 'bout that anymore ;)

For some reason I don't recall I used an Autozone alternator, maybe 'cause they had it in stock and the Toyota one was 2 days out......

The Autozone one came with the regulator, and it was charging 17 volts(way too high)

It blew out both of my headlight bulbs(on the way to the desert at night---cool)

Autozone couldn't come up with another one for some reason and actually gave me a refund. Luckily I had kept my core until I was sure the new is good(always do if you can afford it) 'cause.........................

The Toyota Reman alternator doesn't come with the regulator and it's ridiculously expensive, so I got the Toyota one and re-used my Reg and it's been fine since(2 years+)

I know the regulator is "internal" but it's actually bolted to the outside of the alt...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom