How durable are e-locked rear axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.kindredspiritscsg.com
I am in the process of swapping a FJ80 rear under my FJ60 and am looking into rear locker options. Which leads to the question, How durable are the elockers? Can they hold up with bigger tires? Or should I get something like a detroit or lock right?

there is atwisting problem where you might have to cut the diff out of the housing, I'm going to start running a turned shaft in hopes of avoiding the problem.

The safe route is to go with detroits or ARBs foe selectable.

many have wheeled with 35+ on the oem elockers. but others have also snapped axles at the diff end, thus creating the problem landtank mentions. id run the elockers if the setup you're looking at already has them, and maybe run poly's or something if you're concerned.

if they're open, just put in arbs...

curious though, why swap them over? they're relatively the same strength...no? with the 60 fronts being 9.5s as well...

I twisted up a stock axle and then went with the poly ones. They twisted even easier.

The problem is that when the axle twists the splines lock the locking collar to the carrier and the shaft can't be easily removed. By easily I mean DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE !

I was only planning on swapping the rear, the main reason being that I would have a full float rear. And the disc brakes will be nice too. I'm probably going to go with a lock right or detroit in the rear, and a lock right in the fj60 front axle. Wiring up the e-lockers would be a pain, and just one more thing to get thrashed on trails. Thanks for all the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom