How does this frame look? BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i am just happy to be taking the cruiser and put time and $ into it while learning about the vehicles hands on. cheers and thanks to all who helped! :beer::wrench:

There is plenty of learning,time and dollars in equal amounts there.
I would have good look over it now you have it and even get some expert help.
You might get most of your money back by wrecking it and selling the parts if its too far gone.

5k isn't much these days for a CDN BJ70. The mileage is low too. Not often do 3B's come up for sale with less than 300k and there's upgraded suspension too boot with poly bushings and anti reversible shackles.

Spraying the frame could've had preventative intentions behind it instead of hiding things. This is driven in winter so he was probably trying what he could to defend himself from the salt. If he was hiding it I don think he would've stated there's some frame rust in the email. The timing chain chain does have me a little perplexed however.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer then I don't think this is a bad buy provided the frame and body aren't gone. If you plan on taking this to a mechanic to get an oil change then perhaps a cruiser, or at least a 70 series, isn't for you anyways. One of the perks of these things is they are so darn easy to fix and figure out on your own compared to everything else on the market these days.

5k isn't much these days for a CDN BJ70. The mileage is low too. Not often do 3B's come up for sale with less than 300k and there's upgraded suspension too boot with poly bushings and anti reversible shackles.

Spraying the frame could've had preventative intentions behind it instead of hiding things. This is driven in winter so he was probably trying what he could to defend himself from the salt. If he was hiding it I don think he would've stated there's some frame rust in the email. The timing chain chain does have me a little perplexed however.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer then I don't think this is a bad buy provided the frame and body aren't gone. If you plan on taking this to a mechanic to get an oil change then perhaps a cruiser, or at least a 70 series, isn't for you anyways. One of the perks of these things is they are so darn easy to fix and figure out on your own compared to everything else on the market these days.

I agree with you (77cruiser77) here. I think it was a good buy if you are a do-it-yourself type of person. I only mentioned the timing chain thing as it was the only thing that jumped out of context when I read the "maintenance items" done to the 70, but other than, everything else seemed fair to me.

Congratulations on purchasing the BJ70, futura22!

Hope you get to take care of any outstanding issues and get to enjoy the truck for a long time.

Best,

-Alberto

The frame and body appear to be in pretty good condition. At 5K, looks like you scored a good deal.

hey guys thanks for your positive words! I am very excited to get the truck next weekend and give it the time it deserves. Will have it professionally looked over and then start to learn and do things hands on with the help of online cruiser knowledge, manuals etc. All in good fun when there is love for the vehicle.

:beer: :wrench:

hummm, i saw that one and passed.
i never get in a hurry to buy something (anymore).
first thing i would have done is a compression test and the hammer test. i am suspecting you didn't do either.
next, i would have hired someone like myself to make the drive to Orilia with you to do an inspection. That way the heart is removed from the equation and a clear mind with someone with Cruiser knowledge would be looking for faults.
70s are great trucks but a grand goes nowhere if something is needing repair.

if you have not picked it up yet then give me a call, i would rather you "see" the truck with the rose colored glasses off.

cheers and best of luck with the truck
and
join this local club, a group of really good guys:
http://www.sontt.com/

I've seen that truck on an off Kijiji a few times. One of the guys on SNOTT.com was looking at it but passed. I seem to recall that it had a lot of bad body work. That being said, $5000 seems to be the going rate for a "decent" BJ70 these days. BJ70 "parts" trucks are going for $2500 so if it's derivable and somewhat certifiable, you've done fine.

I was thinking of unloading my BJ70, which is in great shapeand completely modified, save a ARB front bumper and winch and I'll probably only get $7500 - $8000.

.I was thinking of unloading my BJ70, which is in great shapeand completely modified, save a ARB front bumper and winch and I'll probably only get $7500 - $8000.

How have you kept an Ontario truck in great shape, and will you ship to the west coast? :) If so, shouldn't be a problem selling at that price.

89Gashog said:
How have you kept an Ontario truck in great shape, and will you ship to the west coast?

Great shape is relative, it's not mint by any means but it looks like the PO did a good quality body job with all metal repairs. It had 1 owner for 20 years who oiled it every year. That being said it still had some frame rot at the passenger rear shackle and the driver floor was replaced. There is some surface rust on the fender and a little body damage that I did by backing into a tree :doh:

I'll definitely consider US and West coast customers if I decide to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom