How Does this FJ60 Undercarriage Look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Been on the hunt for a 60 series and hoping to get some feedback. Looking at an ‘84 FJ60 that has a custom fuel tank and the owner says he had to shift the exhaust/ muffler around to fit the tank. Also looks to have quite a bit of surface rust on the frame and various suspension and other parts. What do you all think? Anything of concern here? Thanks ahead of time for any input!
726D2A11-D618-4CB3-B9DA-C6E96A494D34.jpeg
A36E9ED2-FC75-4D35-AF43-F83A99768A93.jpeg
1353905D-74E4-43D1-BAC7-5961E7E3703C.jpeg
291E23E5-B063-4E6F-9C84-69E100FB0A43.jpeg

Looks pretty good to me!!! See if you can get a photo of the rear frame C channels behind the wheels. They rust and swell up and warp and need to be replaced. Being in 'Frisco I would think your roof gutters would be of greater concern given the salt sea air.

what engine is in the rig? looks like 2 cats heading into the muffler
if going over any rough terrain the muffler will most likely get damaged as it sits very low

X2 on checking up high for rust versus down low.

Looks like a good dream to me.

Looks better than some of the one I have seen in the midwest!

How about the rest of the vehicle? Frame looks good.

In addition to the dual exhaust I see the oil filter is in the wrong area for a stock 2F engine or even a 3FE. I also see a long range fuel tank which is another $1000 add on

Last edited:
It’s got a Ford V8 5.0 crate motor in it with a 4-speed manual. Current owner doesn’t know what type of transmission is in it. Paint on the truck is faded with most of the clear coat gone and/ or peeling off. Roof does have surface rust but the gutters look ok. It definitely needs a paint job but I just want to make sure it has good bones to start. Will make sure I look at the rear frame C channels. Anything else specific to look for? Thanks again for the help!

If the paint is old and faded that's good because they aren't hiding anything. Beware of nice new paint jobs.

On the first pic you can see a braided bare wire running above the frame. That is not the way to run wires, I wonder what that was for.

Looks like a candidate for some good rust convertor and top coat. I did this on mine.

Yes, current owner had it smogged in April with no issue. He will smog it again if we can make a deal
The real rust that I missed when looking mine over years ago was on the inner side of the frame, driver’s side, right next to the muffler - on yours this would in that zone around your cat(s) and muffler. The rest of my frame looked just like yours - just surface rust, no big deal.

I would agree with the previous posts - look hard at the roof rails if it’s been anywhere near the beach. And yeah that’s a big weird muffler.

But a CA-legal swap is a cool deal if it’s been done well.

Good luck-

There is no rust on any pic to even be marginally worried about. It runs, passes smog?
I'd say you are in the negotiating stage now. Good luck. Pics when it's in your driveway!!

surface rust. Take a hammer and bang on shock cross tube should sound with a high pitch metal sound, not a low pitch sound, indicating rust though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom