How does this FJ40 look to you? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you may have seen my post in Chit-Chat several weeks ago, about comments on an FJ80 vs. a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which included a discussion of the merits of an FJ40 as a Wrangler alternative. A Washington, DC area classic car dealer has this customized 1978 FJ40 for sale, and it looks worth a look. Has anyone here seen it? Whether or not you have seen it, how does it look to you, and does the price look reasonable for a Chevy V8-powered custom job, assuming that it is rust-free and a good runner?

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AAD%3Dh&vinNum=0000000FJ40291654

An important caveat is that this dealer's prices are generally very high, and baesd on first-hand observation, some of their cars have a lot of bondo.

looks good, but looks can be deceiving

mine looks great from 30 feet also.;)

The only way that a 40 is worth near 28k :eek: or even 20k is if it's been fully restored with quality parts and workmanship, or it has about 3000 original miles and paint and has been sitting in a barn for 30 years.

There are way better ways to spend that kind of money. If you have that kind of money get yerself a good 12-15K one and you'll be as happy with it as you would be with that one for a lot less then you'll have money to play with.

Then again it's hard to judge from pics, but based on those pics that's my opinion.

:beer:

Couple Q's about that one: WTH is used for inside door panels, where'd he get that tire cover, what kind of tail lights are those, nice placement of the rear emblems, the dash is "custom" but what is it? Overall it looks pretty nice, just not worth 28k.

Last edited:
robertkim99 said:
An important caveat is that this dealer's prices are generally very high, and baesd on first-hand observation, some of their cars have a lot of bondo.

knowing this....you are STILL thinking about purchasing something from them...

30K for that?

What fing ever man.

10K will get you a strong running, clean truck....you then have 20K to put into it, and could easily build something significantly better than that.....

to each their own.

Good luck!

-Steve

Having lived there that place just rakes money from the people that have more money than sense and they don't care either because 30k is like 5k to them.

No way. There is a Chevy V8 for sale in Philly that is strong and the body is in great shape. He's asking $6k. For $28 it better cook me breakfast.

stock said:
For $28 it better cook me breakfast.

you probably would not like it....

Yeah, doesn't seem worth it.
It's seriously much better if you buy a plane jane and do the work YOU want done to it (even if you get a mechanic to do it for you) then atleast you've chosen the mods, as opposed to getting something already modded. Just my opinion though.
I don't really like the dash.
Cool Rack at the back though, like the tire in the middle, less view obstruction.

DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT. Also I had the same tire/can holder in the rear reinforced and it was still very taxing on the rear body panels, inciting bending and eventual rust. Even the latch mechanism pi$$ed me off. I would never own one again on a 40 that I own

I'll echo previous sentiments on the tire/gas carrier. That design is asking for trouble with cracked body panels and rust.

Do you live in the D.C. area? If not, I can stop by there and take a look at it for you. At least get some better pics. My wife wants me to go over ot Tysons with her this weekend anyway.

Felix

I"ll sell you mine for 15k right now. Just kidding, mine's not for sale. I'm not into the hacked-up dash much, although the rest of the truck looks good from the pics. 28k though? Buy something decent that you can build the way you want to. The next cruiser I buy will be pretty close to original and then I will build it to my liking. Granted, my truck now is awesome, but I want to start from scratch next time.

40K invested? $$$ invested in the wrong places, unless you wanna pose at the mall. For that kinda ca$h, IMO, I'd expect to see at least HP D60's front & rear. The rest of the drivetrain could be whateva. I'll agree w/ everyone who's stated "Definitely Not Worth It"!

For $28k you could pick up a pretty nice 100 Series, or spend half that on an 80 series and the rest to Christo Slee to build it up. Or heaven forbid, wait a few months and get a brand new FJ.

Right rear door doesn't look like it is shutting correctly. In the head on pic everything looks level from the windshield up while there seems to be a dip on the right from the hood down. That might just be the pic but I have seen this sag before. The dash and seats I do not like either. The rear license plate would likely rip off on something. What is that running down the side just under the drivers door, rust trails?? IMO it is priced at least two to three times higher than it should be.

HawkDriver said:
The only way that a 40 is worth near 28k :eek: or even 20k is if it's been fully restored with quality parts and workmanship, or it has about 3000 original miles and paint and has been sitting in a barn for 30 years.

There are way better ways to spend that kind of money. If you have that kind of money get yerself a good 12-15K one and you'll be as happy with it as you would be with that one for a lot less then you'll have money to play with...

...just not worth 28k.
agreed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom