How does this engine bay look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Owner says its eating up about a quart of oil every 1500. Looks like there a leak from the valve cover.

underside looks decent though I wish he had some better angles. Any input appreciated this truck got 230k on it.

Dropbox - 97 Landcruiser

Looks very original and rust free. Very nice. Air intake tube is split and patched with duct tape. The cross member for the transmission/transfer case has been hit by something, doesn't appear to be a problem though. Just a few bargaining points, if it's cheap, buy it.

The oil loss is most likely due to the engine burning it rather than leaking it. 1 qt per 1500 miles is pretty common for stock non/rebuilt engines. I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the leaks are concerned, all look very common and not a big deal to fix.

Oil consumption: I would replace the oil thingy and see what happens. You know, that check valve on top of the valve cover.

He's asking 8k. Its a 40th anniversary which is what sparked my interest. He actually made a video for it.

He's had it about 2 years and basically just kept up with oil changes. Budgeting for some PM and possibly neglected maintenance I was thinking offering 5k, think that's a low ball?

Duck tape screams lazy! I would only use that to bargain the maintenance has been severely neglected.

4k sounds about right. After you do all of the maintenance including the front axle rebuild, brakes, oil pump seal etc..

Last edited:
Well it comes with a set of snow tires and the aftermarket radio and speakers + a backup camera all sound nice so I went with a 5k offer anyway. He countered with 7500. I think ill just write him a message explaining the deferred maintenance and why im only comfortable spending so much. Thank you all for your feedback, sooner or later ill be sitting in one of these things.

Where is this truck located? The body seems very straight and clean. The interior seem to be in good shape as well. But, I notice that you are living in Mass. If the truck is local, I would want to look under it and see what the underbody condition is. If it's good, I think he's asking a reasonable price for the local market.

Burns alot of oil, is from MA - so it is in a rough enviroment where rust is a norm and Toyotas are not made of 316ss. Then there's the duct tape - not something a $8K 80 wears.

Add to that his personal diet is Taco Bell. What care do you take of a car when your personal wellbeing is influenced by Taco Bell? Have some self-respect.
I'm serious on that last one - MacDonald's & Taco Bell are to people as the AM/PM gasoline & Jiffy Lube oil are to vehicles.

Dude is asking $8k but too lazy to wash the engine bay? Wow. Takes all kinds.

It better show nice in person as aside from less-than-expected rust is the nicest I have to say. 230K & it's all the money @ $4K as you'll put an easy $1500 making that a $5500 80.

Also, better doublecheck the outer lights function - remote start piece is a DEI piece & lights are wired wrong, headlights shouldn't be on with remote, should be all cornermarkers only & rear are but front aren't on at all (wrong).

If you go check it then make sure each step of the lightswitch does the right thing.

40th's are nice (had one even) but aside from the 2-tone leather & a 1FZ, it's the same color to me as a '91 3FE 80, and you can see this ones' paint flaws in the hood & Mr TacoBell even says the carpet has 'seen better days'.

He's lazy, he's take your $$roll if you wave $4K cash. People say 'no', but the smell of $4K sways alot of people. But it could be all the money if you're not careful.

Carfax have anything to say about it? I'd do one.

Also, it has the wrong wheels - should have darker painted insets. Stockers included or another 'Hummm' thing?

Last edited:
To clarify, I think the $5000 you are offering is a fair price.

Also, for non New Englanders... keep in mind that there are only a couple of 80s for sale in the area right now. One is for $19,000. The other is listed at $25000. And the last one is for $3800 but the rocker panels are totally rusted away. It seems like cars cost more here than almost anywhere.

Last edited:
This truck is located in Oregon. I don't mind flying out and driving it home(bucket list thing to do anyway) but I know there is inherit risk for something site unseen which is why I came here to ask some experts their thoughts.

From the autochecker he supplied there are no accidents reported, no title problems and the truck has spent its life on the west coast.

This truck is located in Oregon. I don't mind flying out and driving it home(bucket list thing to do anyway) but I know there is inherit risk for something site unseen which is why I came here to ask some experts their thoughts.

From the autochecker he supplied there are no accidents reported, no title problems and the truck has spent its life on the west coast.

Oh, it's in Oregon. Well, I did the exact same thing a month ago when I bought mine. My dad lived in Oregon so he took a look at it and sent me detailed pictures. Overall, I think I made a good buy. It's way better than anything you'd find out here. But, I was surprised to learn that it was an Alaska rig before going to Oregon. I would say that detailed pictures of every square inch of that rig, with a detailed "build sheet" of maintenance or known problems is worth a lot. Good luck, and good call looking out west.

Burns alot of oil, is from MA - so it is in a rough enviroment where rust is a norm and Toyotas are not made of 316ss. Then there's the duct tape - not something a $8K 80 wears.

Add to that his personal diet is Taco Bell. What care do you take of a car when your personal wellbeing is influenced by Taco Bell? Have some self-respect.
I'm serious on that last one - MacDonald's & Taco Bell are to people as the AM/PM gasoline & Jiffy Lube oil are to vehicles.

Dude is asking $8k but too lazy to wash the engine bay? Wow. Takes all kinds.

It better show nice in person as aside from less-than-expected rust is the nicest I have to say. 230K & it's all the money @ $4K as you'll put an easy $1500 making that a $5500 80.

Also, better doublecheck the outer lights function - remote start piece is a DEI piece & lights are wired wrong, headlights shouldn't be on with remote, should be all cornermarkers only & rear are but front aren't on at all (wrong).

If you go check it then make sure each step of the lightswitch does the right thing.

40th's are nice (had one even) but aside from the 2-tone leather & a 1FZ, it's the same color to me as a '91 3FE 80, and you can see this ones' paint flaws in the hood & Mr TacoBell even says the carpet has 'seen better days'.

He's lazy, he's take your $$roll if you wave $4K cash. People say 'no', but the smell of $4K sways alot of people. But it could be all the money if you're not careful.

Carfax have anything to say about it? I'd do one.

Also, it has the wrong wheels - should have darker painted insets. Stockers included or another 'Hummm' thing?

This guy knows! I thought the same thing when I saw the taco Bell receipt. Don't forget about the Walmart battery.

... Add to that his personal diet is Taco Bell. What care do you take of a car when your personal wellbeing is influenced by Taco Bell? Have some self-respect.
I'm serious on that last one - MacDonald's & Taco Bell are to people as the AM/PM gasoline & Jiffy Lube oil are to vehicles. ...

Awesome...

:cheers:

Is there a list to use when interviewing the PO, if they have eaten at the wrong places, it's ever had the wrong battery, etc, the value is reduced? :hillbilly:

What is wrong with Walmart batteries?

If leaks are not repaired, I prefer to see them, know where/what they are, cleaning gives false expectations.

You're ridiculous.

I would look on Slee Offroad's website where there's a new buyers guide. Although its a bit overwhelming you want to be at least sure the beast will make it home from Oregon. I mean what if the birfs are clicking or if the lights aren't working properly? There's some risk involved but I would ask him for a boat load of pictures as noted before. You could also ask him to take it to a Toyota dealership and have them do an inspection. Tell him you want to be sure there's no unknowns for a drive home. You'll have to pay for the inspection but that's way better than getting a major surprise out in the middle of the Dakota's.

I agree with comments about Taco Bell etc. I always clean out a vehicle well before I sell it. Especially if he's asking that price. Offer him $2500 and he can keep the brush guard. Ha!

You're ridiculous.

Probably.

I know I been called way worse, and some to my face. Oh well, right?

I know the value of the money in my pocket, and I have 2 extremely well bought & kept Toyotas. My 450 was worn when sold, but my 40th was nice, whoever got it will be happy. It had 30K on a HG from Robbie/Slee & lockers & cost me $5K taxed & plated.

This 40th is only slightly redeemed by the OR situation over East coast salt belt living - as much as it needs it can't be well bought for more than $4500 I see from the ads. There's just so much labor for the parts it needs to be worth even that.

I'm 45 & love Mexican food, but know what they serve @ Taco Bell is a food-like substance resembling Mexican food. There's a difference.
1 I had last night, the other I think I was mid-20's.

In general the big point though is for $8K & moving only $500 on his part, a $200 detail job & a simple intake hose will sell this, but the seller is flat lazy.

People can still pick the color combo 80 (nightshadow blue may take longer) they want & find a quality example that can be well bought, it may take a 6-8 mo period & willing to travel but you can. These aren't common, but we're not talking Ferrari Daytona -type rare either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom