How does the antenna stop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new mast but before that I took the whole assembly apart thinking it was stripped. I still think the plastic gear inside is a little worn down. But I wanted to know how the motor turns on and off? Is it time? Amp draw? Because right now, the antenna is working, but if I hold down the buttons, it will pop on the stripped gear. So far, the only way I have found to get that pllatic gear is to buy an entire assembly.

The drum and motor have a ratchet gear that slips keeping the motor from over stressing and the plastic cable from breaking when the plastic cable is wound down in the drum and the antenna reaches its full retracted position .

Sure, but is it designed to keep moving when you hold the button down? Or is there supposed to be a stop when it is in the fully extended/retracted position?

I have a '96 LC and when I hold the dash switch down and the antenna is fully retracted the drum/motor starts making a ratcheting sound. I thought it was broken the first time I heard it, but found out it's made that way. It just stops without any ratcheting when fully extended .

Hmmm. OK. As long as it is not doing the harm it sounds like it is doing. It is a little rough going up, slipping sometimes. That is why I would like to find a new one of those plastic gears. I was going to put some graphite lubricant on the mast though and see if that helps. Any better ideas?

Check with Cruiserparts.net on the price of a used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom