How does the antenna connect to the nylon cord? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My antenna snapped off and I just bought a new one. How does it attached? Did a nut fall off somewhere?

IMG_9212.JPG

My antenna snapped off and I just bought a new one. How does it attached? Did a nut fall off somewhere?

View attachment 2516142

the chord connects internally to the center mast that held in place with the end cap. The end cap screws off so you can remove the center piece through the bottom. The cable is held to it via a brass sheath. Like in the pic attached.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You have the wrong part judging by the picture you had an antenna that moved up and down automatically and you are trying to replace it with a basic antenna. Toyota EPC if you need OEM parts or just abandon the old antenna altogether and replace it with aftermarket if that is your thing.

I got part 86336-60040 which is listed for a 93.

86337-60080 is listed for 96 and 97 only.

I mean by the look of it you have the same setup as I do for my 96 lx450, and the ...80 part works for me.... I have another set of antennas that I got to fab a replacement non-auto static antenna and they were for Jeep’s and GMC based trucks. They looked similar to what you have, ie with a screw end but are not made to attach to the nylon cable. The nylon cable should come with the replacement antenna... so my guess is it’s the wrong part.

86337-60080 is what is in your truck based on the image. At least that is what it looks like to me. I have a 97 and when I replaced my antenna nylon cord it looked like your nylon cord.

You have the correct mast but nothing left to attach it to. 91-96 has a smooth cord. 97 and 96-97 LX450 have a toothed cord. Your cord originally had a small nut crimped on the end. It has broken off. You need a complete antenna assembly.

You have the correct mast but nothing left to attach it to. 91-96 has a smooth cord. 97 and 96-97 LX450 have a toothed cord. Your cord originally had a small nut crimped on the end. It has broken off. You need a complete antenna assembly.

He does not need a complete antenna assembly at 350+ dollars. Just the cord and the drum. I am waiting for the same thing to show up. If the parts continue to be unavailable I may make my own.

He does not need a complete antenna assembly at 350+ dollars. Just the cord and the drum. I am waiting for the same thing to show up. If the parts continue to be unavailable I may make my own.

The cord and drum was never serviced for this application. Only a thread-on mast.
Screenshot_2020-12-05 86-04 ANTENNA diagram, 1994 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER.png

The 1991 Camry LE sedan had a drum and cable that could be substituted. That is now discontinued.
Screenshot_2020-12-05 86-04 ANTENNA diagram, 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY.png

Screenshot_2020-12-05 1985-1992 Toyota Antenna Cable 86327-22211 Toyota Parts.png

The cord and drum was never serviced for this application. Only a thread-on mast.
View attachment 2516708

The 1991 Camry LE sedan had a drum and cable that could be substituted. That is now discontinued.
View attachment 2516709
View attachment 2516710

The cord and the drum are available as is the antenna. Not sure what happened to my post pointing to that fact but this website has both:

The drum and cable are out of stock but the company says they expect them back in stock within two months. This was about 3 weeks ago. I'm checking periodically. If it runs too long, I'll end up making my own.

That's what I figured. There's no way to crimp a new nut on?

You could if the nut was serviced. It was never sold separately. It consists of a collar with an integrated nut that spins like the female end of a garden hose.
Maybe the aftermarket drum and cable mentioned above will become available once again.

I’m in the same boat except I have the crimped nut in my possession. Cord broke right below the nut. I need to detach the crimp from the broken bit of nylon and recrimp it to the remaining nylon if possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom